kudu-user mailing list archives

From Benjamin Kim <bbuil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Spark on Kudu
Date Fri, 08 Apr 2016 19:45:25 GMT
Hi J-D,

My colleagues recently came back from Strata in San Jose. They told me that everything was
about Spark and there is a big buzz about the SMACK stack (Spark, Mesos, Akka, Cassandra,
Kafka). I still think that Cassandra is just an interim solution as a low-latency, easily
queried data store. I was wondering if anything significant happened in regards to Kudu, especially
on the Spark front. Plus, can you come up with your own proposed stack acronym to promote?

Cheers,
Ben

> On Mar 1, 2016, at 12:20 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi Ben,
>
> AFAIK no one in the dev community committed to any timeline. I know of one person on
the Kudu Slack who's working on a better RDD, but that's about it.

> Regards,
>
> J-D
>
> On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Benjamin Kim <bkim@amobee.com <mailto:bkim@amobee.com>>
wrote:
> Hi J-D,
>
> Quick question… Is there an ETA for KUDU-1214? I want to target a version of Kudu to
begin real testing of Spark against it for our devs. At least, I can tell them what timeframe
to anticipate.

> Just curious,
> Benjamin Kim
> Data Solutions Architect
>
> [a•mo•bee] (n.) the company defining digital marketing.
>
> Mobile: +1 818 635 2900 <tel:%2B1%20818%20635%202900>
> 3250 Ocean Park Blvd, Suite 200  |  Santa Monica, CA 90405  |  www.amobee.com <http://www.amobee.com/>
>
>> On Feb 24, 2016, at 3:51 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org <mailto:jdcryans@apache.org>>
wrote:

>> The DStream stuff isn't there at all. I'm not sure if it's needed either.
>>
>> The kuduRDD is just leveraging the MR input format, ideally we'd use scans directly.
>>
>> The SparkSQL stuff is there but it doesn't do any sort of pushdown. It's really basic.
>>
>> The goal was to provide something for others to contribute to. We have some basic
unit tests that others can easily extend. None of us on the team are Spark experts, but we'd
be really happy to assist one improve the kudu-spark code.

>> J-D
>>
>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:41 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>> J-D,
>>
>> It looks like it fulfills most of the basic requirements (kudu RDD, kudu DStream)
in KUDU-1214. Am I right? Besides shoring up more Spark SQL functionality (Dataframes) and
doing the documentation, what more needs to be done? Optimizations?

>> I believe that it’s a good place to start using Spark with Kudu and compare it
to HBase with Spark (not clean).

>> Thanks,
>> Ben
>>

>>> On Feb 24, 2016, at 3:10 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcryans@apache.org <mailto:jdcryans@apache.org>>
wrote:

>>> AFAIK no one is working on it, but we did manage to get this in for 0.7.0: https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321
<https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1321>

>>> It's a really simple wrapper, and yes you can use SparkSQL on Kudu, but it will
require a lot more work to make it fast/useful.

>>> Hope this helps,
>>>
>>> J-D
>>>
>>> On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 3:08 PM, Benjamin Kim <bbuild11@gmail.com <mailto:bbuild11@gmail.com>>
wrote:
>>> I see this KUDU-1214 <https://issues.cloudera.org/browse/KUDU-1214> targeted
for 0.8.0, but I see no progress on it. When this is complete, will this mean that Spark will
be able to work with Kudu both programmatically and as a client via Spark SQL? Or is there
more work that needs to be done on the Spark side for it to work?