kudu-user mailing list archives

From Jordan Birdsell <jordan.birdsell.k...@statefarm.com>
Subject RE: Kudu - Data Encryption
Date Fri, 25 Mar 2016 21:45:01 GMT
Hey Patrick,

Thanks for the quick response. This approach would leave all data unencrypted while Kudu is
being used and thus only protect against physical theft, would it not?  We’re looking for
something more like the HDFS encryption, prevents os-level attacks, unencrypted on the client,
etc. Sorry if I’ve misunderstood your meaning.

Thanks,
Jordan Birdsell
Data Engineer
State Farm - Research

From: Patrick Angeles [mailto:patrick@cloudera.com]
Sent: Friday, March 25, 2016 4:54 PM
To: user@kudu.incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Kudu - Data Encryption

Hey Jordan,

It would help to understand your particular requirements. For example, can it be solved using
volume-level encryption? (This could be done today.) Are you looking for per-table or per-column
encryption?

Patrick Angeles
Chief Architect Financial Services
151 West 26th Street Suite 1002 | New York, NY 10001
+1 (650) 644-3943

On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 4:40 PM, Jordan Birdsell <jordan.birdsell.kdvm@statefarm.com<mailto:jordan.birdsell.kdvm@statefarm.com>>