kudu-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Issue using Nullable fields with Java Client
Date Wed, 06 Jan 2016 17:58:23 GMT
Renato also asked this on slack, but just to relay this convo back to the
user list:

The issue is that the RowResult getter APIs in Java do not return boxed
values. Since they return primitives, there's no way for us to return
'null' for a null cell, and it doesn't seem to quite make sense to return
an arbitrary value like 0 or -1. So, getters throw exceptions for null
values in this API. The solution is to do something like:

// Fill in a default value like 0:
long myVal = row.isNull(colIdx) ? 0 : row.getLong(colIdx);

// Or, do your own boxing:
Long myVal = row.isNull(colIdx) ? null : row.getLong(colIdx);

Of course the second approach can have some performance issues due to
creation of the box object.

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon