karaf-user mailing list archives

From Scott Lewis <sle...@composent.com>
Subject Re: Karaf as micro service container
Date Thu, 30 Apr 2020 23:43:32 GMT
Howdy,

Apologies if I'm misinterpreting Mike's comments below as I was not able
to attend this presentation (but will watch it when available).

On 4/30/2020 2:20 PM, Mike Hummel wrote:
> Hello,
>
> <stuff deleted>
>
> - A common topic for clustering is a common cache and locking. It's possible with hazelcast.
But I was not able use hazelcasts caching service - lots of class loader issues. I was able
to use ehcache (no locking) and redis for this features. It's a shame that specially 'java
caching api' is not possible in OSGi using hazelcast. It's also not easy with ehcache but
I found a workaround.

[Scott] It seems possible to me that remote services could be useful for
creating such a 'java caching api', and ECF has a distribution provider
based upon hazelcast [1]...allowing a nice separation between 'caching
api' (set of interacting osgi services), implementation (OSGi service
impls) and distribution (Hazelcast and/or other distribution providers).

> <stuff deleted>
>
> I found the presentation of Dimitry very helpful. I will try not to divide each service
in a separate container. In this scenario it's also possible to share database entities in
the same JVM engine - this will even boost the performance - instead of using it via rest
all the time.

> Also interesting is the support of API gateways. For me a big problem is the service
discovery. It's absolutely stupid to configure each service manually in the API gateway. A
more comfortable way would be some kind of discovery. Karaf could automatically configure/update
the gateway depending on the provided jax rs resources.

WRT service discovery...remote services specifies service discovery
using an arbitrary comm protocol, and ECF has a discovery provider based
upon etcd [1], which is also used in Kubernetes I believe.   With this
etcd provider [2], I expect that creating a Kubernetes remote service
publish/discovery would be straightforward.

Scott

[1] https://github.com/ECF/HazelcastProvider

[2] https://github.com/ECF/etcd-provider