karaf-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Authentication with configuration: BundlevsDeclarativeService?
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2019 14:53:21 GMT
Hi Kamil,

Is the operator creating the account in the authentication service, so that the previously
invalid credentials become valid?

How does your system deal with failures in communication to the authentication service? Is
the operator required to restart all the “weather station” bundles? Is it possible to
treat “invalid credentials” the same as “no communication to the authentication service”?

In any case, with my proposal, restarting the bundle will certainly result in another attempt
to authenticate if the configuration is present.  Can you use the service presence rather
than the bundle state to determine “health”?

David Jencks

> On Aug 23, 2019, at 7:07 AM, Kamil Paśko <kamil.pasko@antologic.com> wrote:
>
> @Dawid,
>
> Ok, here’s my situation:
> Let’s say I have hundreds of weather stations
> Each weather station gathers different data (some only the temperature, some humidity,
some both and some let’s say – radiation). They’re completly independent of each other.
Can be deployed separately, have different versions etc. That’s why I represented each weather
station as separate bundle in Karaf cluster.
> Each weather station sends it’s data to the server using „WeatherService”
> But before weather station can send it’s first data – it must use „AuthenticationService”
and it’s own Configuration (containing it’s login and password) in order to authenticate
itself. If it can not – is should stop and do not send data
> Why restarting the bundle helps with authentication? Because Operator can create weather
station’s account in the system and restart the bundle – then it’ll authenticate itself
successfuly

> I hope that this explains my situation.
>
> Kind regards,
> Kamil

services with the console. Ds components do have state, which you can investigate using the
console.

> Your answer doesn’t make sense to me yet. What is the nature of the authentication?
If it’s entirely self contained then changes to the configuration will be automatically
propagated to a configuration-aware component anyway without your doing anything special,
and if it relies on some sort of remote service I’d expect your component would be the only
reasonable place to track this remote services availability.

> I don’t recall ever finding a situation where restarting a bundle was a reasonable
response.

> I may not understand your situation...
> David Jencks
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 23, 2019, at 4:43 AM, Kamil Paśko <kamil.pasko@antologic.com <mailto:kamil.pasko@antologic.com>>
wrote:

> @David,
>
> Thank you for your answer.
> I care „if the bundle is active” because as far as I know, Karaf console and API
allows me to check the state of bundles – not particular services.
> Please, correct me if I’m wrong.
>
> Moreover - all our monitoring tools verify bundles health, and are able to restart them
when bundle will be able to authenticate again.

> That is why I need to stop whole bundle if authentication fails and I must care about
whole bundle – not particular service.

> Does it make sense?
>
> Kind regards,
> Kamil

is present and that configuration results in valid authentication. Why do you care if the
bundle is active? What’s usually important is whether a service is present.
> -write a ManagedService as a DS component that authenticates and if successful creates
the actual service.

> David Jencks
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On Aug 19, 2019, at 5:21 AM, Kamil Paśko <kamil.pasko@antologic.com <mailto:kamil.pasko@antologic.com>>
wrote:

> I see that my examples where trimmed. So I send them once again:
>
> I have a case with three requirements explained below:
>
> 1) I must implement "something" (Bundle or Component) that will receive configuration
(placed in $KARAF_HOME/etc/myPID.cfg), therefore I can use both:

> a) BundleActivator with ManagedService approach:
>

> @Override
> public final void start(final BundleContext bundleContext) throws InterruptedException
{
>   serviceReg = bundleContext.registerService(ManagedService.class, new ConfigUpdater(),
new Hashtable<>(singletonMap(Constants.SERVICE_PID, pid)));
> }
>
> b) DeclarativeService approach:
>

> @Component(
>     configurationPid = MyService.CONFIGURATION_PID
> )
> public class MyService {
>   @Activate
>   public MyService(final MyConfiguration configuration) throws Exception {
>   }
> }
>
> 2) But the second requirement is, that config MUST be available before Bundle/Component
starts (because my Bundle/Component must authenticate itself using credentials from the config).
Therefore: