karaf-user mailing list archives

From Oleg Cohen <oleg.co...@assurebridge.com>
Subject Re: Startup timing Windows vs. Mac
Date Wed, 21 Nov 2018 03:50:05 GMT
I’d like to add that this bundle has many classes and a large number of services.

> On Nov 20, 2018, at 10:36 PM, Oleg Cohen <oleg.cohen@assurebridge.com> wrote:
>
> Hi JB,
>
> I don’t think the antivirus is an issue in my case.
>
> I did disable Windows Defender. My test case is with a single bundle that is installed
via this command:

> install reference:file://$eclipse_projects/sample.bundle.a <file:///$eclipse_projects/sample.bundle.a>
>
> The location $eclipse_projects points to the local file system where Eclipse projects
for bundles reside.

> From Active state I run command update sample.bundle.a
>
> I see that the entire bundle start part of the update consists of two parts. Right after
the activation process starts I see a delay. No logging occurs, even with the log level set
to TRACE. Then log output starts showing initialization of my bundle’s components/services.

> The latter part runs quick on both Windows and Mac and take about 1 sec. However, the
former part that is silent and takes about 5 sec on Mac and 20 sec on Windows. So, 4 times
slower on Windows.

> What happens with the bundle at the start? Are files copied? I do suspect it has something
to do with the file IO.

> Thank you,
> Oleg
>

>> On Nov 20, 2018, at 10:57 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net <mailto:jb@nanthrax.net>>
wrote:

>> Yes, first, please try with the antivirus disabled.
>>
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 20/11/2018 16:26, Oleg Cohen wrote:
>>> Hi JB,
>>>
>>> Yes, it is Windows. It is exactly the same set of bundles and the same Maven
repository. Yes, there is Antivirus. I can try testing with disabling it temporarily.

>>> How can I see what is being resolved/checked/updated/downloaded? I do notice
that Karaf has these long pauses. I am sure I can run pretty much against the local repo.

>>> I would appreciate any pointers on how to speed up the startup!
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Oleg

the same application with a number of bundles, both 3rd party and my own, take significantly
longer (1.5 vs 6 mins) on Windows compared to Mac. Both systems are pretty powerful and have
similar resources. I was wondering if anybody has noticed the same. What would be the best
way to analyze the startup performance and identify bottlenecks?