karaf-user mailing list archives

From Scott Lewis <sle...@composent.com>
Subject Re: REST - Declarative Services
Date Tue, 29 May 2018 16:03:43 GMT
On 5/28/2018 10:40 AM, Guenther Schmidt wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I’ve been developing services using Declarative Services for dependency injection and
it was a breeze so far. Now I want to expose some of the functionality via a REST API and
I’m stuck. So far I’ve deployed my bundles through bundle:install -s man: …. all very
easy. But what should be simple, exposing this through REST is becoming difficult. There are
tips out there suggesting to use Blueprint, which I don’t want, others seem to suggest that
I need to create a “feature” package.

> Then there’s also the requirements to “feature” install cxf. That’s OK btw, I
only have to do that once. But is there really no simple way to create a simple REST service
using merely DS?

> Guenther

Hi Guenther,

Another option would be ECF Remote Services [1].   It's a full
implementation of the OSGi Remote Services and Remote Service Admin
(R7/latest) specifications [2].   These specifications standardize the
remoting of OSGi services (meta-data and dynamics), so it works
seemlessly with DS and other frameworks that use the OSGi service registry.

ECF has a provider architecture so allows the use of a variety of
distribution providers [3], including CXF [4].

We have features defined for Karaf [5] and we also now have support for
bndtools-based development [6] (workspace and project templates).

Caveat:   ECF is in the middle of 'release season' for the Eclipse
simultaneous release (late June), so the transition to ECF 3.14.0 is not
yet complete.  For example, the Karaf features don't yet point to 3.14.0
at maven central only because we have to wait for the SR  process before
deployment of the release to maven central.   However, I'm happy to
provide needed support via [7].

Scott

[1] https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Communication_Framework_Project

[2]