karaf-user mailing list archives

From Alex Soto <alex.s...@envieta.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA with AriesJPA Java.peristence
Date Fri, 11 May 2018 14:53:23 GMT
Thanks for the help Tim.

> On May 11, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com> wrote:
>
> Aries JPA can work with either JPA 2.0, or JPA 2.1, and is tested with EclipseLink, Hibernate
and OpenJPA.

I am looking at these integration tests, but the test itself does not uses the feature, as
defined in the feature.xml file.  It loads a different version of javax.persistence for the
OpenJPA integration test. So unless you are an AriesJPA developer, you would not know about
this.  How would anybody figure this out?

@Configuration
    public Option[] configuration() {
        return new Option[] {
            baseOptions(), //
            ariesJpa20(), //
            jta11Bundles(), // Openjpa currently does not work with jta 1.2. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2607
            openJpa(), //
            derbyDSF(), //
            testBundle()
        };

Then the example does not use OpenJPA, but Hibernate, so there is no information on how to
make it work with OpenJPA out of the box.
One option here would be to have multiple specific features: jpa-hibernate, jpa-openjpa, etc.

> It is highly recommended that you use the JavaJPA contract in any of your bundles using
JPA so that you are isolated from the API version number changes in the future (most Java
EE specifications make major version bumps quite regularly).

I have this in my bundle’s osgi.bnd file:

	-contract: JavaJPA

Is that all that is needed?  It does not indicate version.

> The real problem is that the AriesJPA feature shouldn’t exist as a standalone thing
(it doesn’t make sense to deploy it on its own). It should come for free when you install
the OpenJPA (or Hibernate, or EclipseLink) feature, using whichever API they have deployed.

Exactly, this is harder than it should be.  When I install a feature, I expect the feature
to bring in all that is needed, not having to chase down all these dependencies.
Is there an intention to take this approach any time soon?

> Tim
>

>> On 11 May 2018, at 14:23, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com <mailto:alex.soto@envieta.com>>
wrote:

>> I had accidentally replied directly to Tim.  Repeating here:
>>
>> Let me see if I understand this correctly:
>>
>> Karaf version 4.2.0 enterprise repository depends on version 2.6.1 of AriesJPA.
>> AriesJPA version 2.6.1 depends on  javax.persistence version 2.1.0.
>> Karaf’s enterprise repository defines a openjpa feature that depends on OpenJPA
version 2.4.2.
>> OpenJPA version 2.4.2 depends on javax.persistence version 2.0.0.
>>
>> Is this correct?
>> Is there is a bug in the Enterprise repository mixing incompatible versions of OpenJPA
and AriesJPA?
>> Is the problem in OpenJPA not declaring the version it depends on?
>>
>> Inspecting in Karaf’s console:
>>
>> karaf@root()> list
>>
>>  97 │ Active  │  80 │ 2.4.2               │ OpenJPA Aggregate Ja
>>
>> karaf@root()> bundle:requirements 97
>>
>> osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=javax.persistence)(version>=1.1.0)(!(version>=2.1.0)))
resolved by:
>>    osgi.wiring.package; javax.persistence 2.0.0 from org.apache.geronimo.specs.geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec
[66]

>> karaf@root()> feature:info jpa
>> Feature jpa 2.6.1
>>   OSGi Persistence Container
>> Details:
>>   JPA implementation provided by Apache Aries JPA 2.x. NB: this feature doesn't provide
the JPA engine, you have to install one by yourself (OpenJPA for instance)
>> Feature has no configuration
>> Feature has no configuration files
>> Feature has no dependencies.
>> Feature contains followed bundles:
>>   mvn:org.eclipse.persistence/javax.persistence/2.1.0
>>   mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/1.1.1
>>   mvn:org.osgi/org.osgi.service.jdbc/1.0.0
>>   mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.coordinator/1.0.2 start-level=30
>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.api/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.container/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.support/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Alex soto
>>

>>> On May 10, 2018, at 5:45 PM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com <mailto:tim.ward@paremus.com>>
wrote:

>>> OpenJPA 2.4.x supports JPA 2.0 (not 2.1) you can get the API you need from Apache
Aries, as well as the JPA container. This is also all used and tested with Aries Transaction
Control, so you can look at the bundles used there.

>>> Best Regards,
>>>
>>> Tim
>>>
>>> Sent from my iPhone

Container

> [...]
> [...]