karaf-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: MariaDB/JPA Transaction rollback not working
Date Thu, 17 May 2018 05:46:05 GMT
The best place to start when looking for OSGi R7 examples is the enRoute Project. It contains
Maven Archetypes, examples and worked tutorials for building applications using R7 specifications.

https://enroute.osgi.org

Most of the projects in use are just new versions of long established OSGi implementations
from Aries and Felix. The majority of them are already released and in Maven Central. Those
that are still in the process of releasing (pretty much just the JAX-RS whiteboard) are available
in the Apache Snapshots repository. I am not aware of any implementations that require R7
framework features, so all of them should run on Karaf.

Best Regards,

Tim

Sent from my iPhone

> On 16 May 2018, at 22:25, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com> wrote:
>
> I agree, it s very frustrating and time consuming. Almost impossible to get it right.
> I may try the OSGi R7, but I am not sure of its adoption level at this time, availability
of bundles, examples, support by Karaf, etc.

> Anyway, back to my current stack.  I only see one DataSource being registered:
>
> karaf@root()> service:list DataSource
> [javax.sql.DataSource]
> ----------------------
>  databaseName = responder
>  dataSourceName = responder
>  osgi.jdbc.driver.name = mariadb
>  osgi.jndi.service.name = responder
>  service.bundleid = 14
>  service.factoryPid = org.ops4j.datasource
>  service.id = 194
>  service.pid = org.ops4j.datasource.feb33f6d-dc46-4bc7-a417-ad6bdd5a6ee5
>  service.scope = singleton
>  url = jdbc:mariadb:XXXXXX
> Provided by :
>  OPS4J Pax JDBC Config (14)
> Used by:
>  Data (135)
>

> Not sure what to do with this.
> I specified the following in the configuration:
>
> pool=narayana
> xa=true
>
> Best regards,
> Alex soto
>

>> On May 16, 2018, at 4:12 PM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com> wrote:
>>
>> The structure of the JNDI name is defined by the JNDI service specification.
>>
>> osgi:service/<interface name>[/<filter>]
>>
>> So in this case both of your services should be DataSource instances, but they should
have different filters.

>> The important thing is to make sure you have an JTA enlisting DataSource registered
as a service (this isn’t just your normal DataSource), then to build a filter which selects
that. One option for this is to use the enlistment whiteboard from Aries (not well documented)
https://github.com/apache/aries/tree/trunk/transaction/transaction-jdbc

>> This is a non-trivial thing to do, which is why I keep mentioning Transaction Control
which handles the enlistment reliably without the layers of services.

>> Best Regards,
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 16 May 2018, at 21:57, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thank you Tim.
>>>
>>> Any idea what the JNDI names would be?
>>> It is Pax-JDBC creating these JNDI names, so I have no idea.
>>>
>>> From the Karaf console:
>>>

>>> karaf@root()> jndi:names
>>> JNDI Name              │ Class Name
>>> ───────────────────────┼───────────────────────────────────────────────
>>> osgi:service/responder │ org.mariadb.jdbc.MySQLDataSource
>>> osgi:service/jndi      │ org.apache.karaf.jndi.internal.JndiServiceImpl
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Alex soto

clearly wrong as the DataSource cannot simultaneously be enlisted in the Transaction and not
enlisted. The comments also indicate a misunderstanding of the purpose of the non-jta-datasource,
which absolutely is used with JTA EntityManagers (for things like sequence allocation and
out of band optimisations). You really do need to have both and they do need to behave differently.

in the system.  This usually happens by configuring a (otherwise invisible) DataSource wrapper
There is nothing forcing you to make this happen (or checking that it does) hence your transactions
would be broken. This is one of the several reasons I try to direct people to Transaction
Control where the model actively pushes you toward transactions that actually work, rather
than hiding all the magic behind an annotation.

don't use container managed transaction.

<mailto:jb@nanthrax.net>> wrote:

> [...]
value="org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5Dialect" />
of the transaction, but it still shows up in my database table.