karaf-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA with AriesJPA Java.peristence
Date Fri, 11 May 2018 15:09:35 GMT

> On 11 May 2018, at 15:53, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the help Tim.
>
>> On May 11, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com <mailto:tim.ward@paremus.com>>
wrote:

>> Aries JPA can work with either JPA 2.0, or JPA 2.1, and is tested with EclipseLink,
Hibernate and OpenJPA.

> I am looking at these integration tests, but the test itself does not uses the feature,
as defined in the feature.xml file.  It loads a different version of javax.persistence for
the OpenJPA integration test. So unless you are an AriesJPA developer, you would not know
about this.  How would anybody figure this out?

> @Configuration
>     public Option[] configuration() {
>         return new Option[] {
>             baseOptions(), //
>             ariesJpa20(), //
>             jta11Bundles(), // Openjpa currently does not work with jta 1.2. See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2607
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2607>
>             openJpa(), //
>             derbyDSF(), //
>             testBundle()
>         };
>
> Then the example does not use OpenJPA, but Hibernate, so there is no information on how
to make it work with OpenJPA out of the box.
> One option here would be to have multiple specific features: jpa-hibernate, jpa-openjpa,
etc.

Yes, that’s pretty much what is needed, but Karaf would be the place to create and maintain
those features.

>> It is highly recommended that you use the JavaJPA contract in any of your bundles
using JPA so that you are isolated from the API version number changes in the future (most
Java EE specifications make major version bumps quite regularly).

> I have this in my bundle’s osgi.bnd file:
>
> 	-contract: JavaJPA
>
> Is that all that is needed?  It does not indicate version.

That is most of what is needed - you also need to be compiling against a library which offers
the contract (for example the spec bundles provided by Aries). If you do that you will end
up with Import-Package statements for javax.persistence (et al) with no version, but also
a Require-Capability: osgi.contract;filter:=(&(osgi.contract=JavaJPA)(version=XXX)) where
the XXX is determined from the Provide-Capability of the bundle you compiled against.

>> The real problem is that the AriesJPA feature shouldn’t exist as a standalone thing
(it doesn’t make sense to deploy it on its own). It should come for free when you install
the OpenJPA (or Hibernate, or EclipseLink) feature, using whichever API they have deployed.

> Exactly, this is harder than it should be.  When I install a feature, I expect the feature
to bring in all that is needed, not having to chase down all these dependencies.
> Is there an intention to take this approach any time soon?

I’m afraid that would be a decision for the Karaf maintainers rather than me. I’m only
chipping in because I’m an Aries PMC member who deals quite a bit with the JPA and Tx Control
components.

Best Regards,

Tim Ward

>> Tim
>>

>>> On 11 May 2018, at 14:23, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com <mailto:alex.soto@envieta.com>>
wrote:

>>> I had accidentally replied directly to Tim.  Repeating here:
>>>
>>> Let me see if I understand this correctly:
>>>
>>> Karaf version 4.2.0 enterprise repository depends on version 2.6.1 of AriesJPA.
>>> AriesJPA version 2.6.1 depends on  javax.persistence version 2.1.0.
>>> Karaf’s enterprise repository defines a openjpa feature that depends on OpenJPA
version 2.4.2.
>>> OpenJPA version 2.4.2 depends on javax.persistence version 2.0.0.
>>>
>>> Is this correct?
>>> Is there is a bug in the Enterprise repository mixing incompatible versions of
OpenJPA and AriesJPA?
>>> Is the problem in OpenJPA not declaring the version it depends on?
>>>
>>> Inspecting in Karaf’s console:
>>>
>>> karaf@root()> list
>>>
>>>  97 │ Active  │  80 │ 2.4.2               │ OpenJPA Aggregate Ja
>>>
>>> karaf@root()> bundle:requirements 97
>>>
>>> osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=javax.persistence)(version>=1.1.0)(!(version>=2.1.0)))
resolved by:
>>>    osgi.wiring.package; javax.persistence 2.0.0 from org.apache.geronimo.specs.geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec
[66]

>>> karaf@root()> feature:info jpa
>>> Feature jpa 2.6.1
>>>   OSGi Persistence Container
>>> Details:
>>>   JPA implementation provided by Apache Aries JPA 2.x. NB: this feature doesn't
provide the JPA engine, you have to install one by yourself (OpenJPA for instance)
>>> Feature has no configuration
>>> Feature has no configuration files
>>> Feature has no dependencies.
>>> Feature contains followed bundles:
>>>   mvn:org.eclipse.persistence/javax.persistence/2.1.0
>>>   mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/1.1.1
>>>   mvn:org.osgi/org.osgi.service.jdbc/1.0.0
>>>   mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.coordinator/1.0.2 start-level=30
>>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.api/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.container/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>>   mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.support/2.6.1 start-level=30
>>>
>>> Best regards,
>>> Alex soto

Apache Aries, as well as the JPA container. This is also all used and tested with Aries Transaction
Control, so you can look at the bundles used there.

Deltaspike jpa support

Deltaspike jpa support
Container

wrote:

> [...]