karaf-user mailing list archives

From Alex Soto <alex.s...@envieta.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA with AriesJPA Java.peristence
Date Fri, 11 May 2018 18:19:44 GMT
Ok, I made some progress (I guess) I am no longer getting the original error:  java.lang.ClassCastException:
org.apache.openjpa.persistence.PersistenceProviderImpl cannot be cast to javax.persistence.spi.PersistenceProvider

I added my own version of the jpa feature, in which I substitute the line

        <bundle dependency="true">mvn:org.eclipse.persistence/javax.persistence/2.1.0</bundle>

With:
        <bundle dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/1.1.1</bundle>

Which results in:

	<feature name="aries-jpa2”>
	     <capability>
            osgi.service;effective:=active;objectClass=javax.persistence.spi.PersistenceProvider
        </capability>

		<bundle dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jpa_2.0_spec/1.1</bundle>
        <bundle dependency="true">mvn:org.apache.geronimo.specs/geronimo-jta_1.1_spec/1.1.1</bundle>
        <bundle dependency="true">mvn:org.osgi/org.osgi.service.jdbc/1.0.0</bundle>
        <bundle dependency="true" start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.felix/org.apache.felix.coordinator/1.0.2</bundle>
        <bundle start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.api/${aries.jpa.version}</bundle>
        <bundle start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.container/${aries.jpa.version}</bundle>
        <bundle start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.support/${aries.jpa.version}</bundle>
        <conditional>
            <condition>aries-blueprint</condition>
            <bundle start-level="30">mvn:org.apache.aries.jpa/org.apache.aries.jpa.blueprint/${aries.jpa.version}</bundle>
        </conditional>
	</feature>

Now, in my own feature, I have:

	<feature>aries-blueprint</feature>
 	<feature>jndi</feature>
	<feature>jdbc</feature>
	<feature>transaction</feature>
	<feature>aries-jpa2</feature>
	<feature>openjpa</feature>
	<feature>pax-jdbc-mariadb</feature>
        <feature>pax-jdbc-config</feature>

Among others.  Now my bundle fails to start:

Declarative Services
Blueprint
5/11/18 2:14 PM
Missing dependencies:
(&(osgi.unit.name=responderPersistenUnit)(objectClass=javax.persistence.EntityManager))

There are no errors in the log, just this unresolved dependency.
Any idea about why my persistent unit is not being registered?

Best regards,
Alex soto

> On May 11, 2018, at 11:09 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com> wrote:
>

>> On 11 May 2018, at 15:53, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com <mailto:alex.soto@envieta.com>>
wrote:

>> Thanks for the help Tim.
>>
>>> On May 11, 2018, at 10:24 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com <mailto:tim.ward@paremus.com>>
wrote:

>>> Aries JPA can work with either JPA 2.0, or JPA 2.1, and is tested with EclipseLink,
Hibernate and OpenJPA.

>> I am looking at these integration tests, but the test itself does not uses the feature,
as defined in the feature.xml file.  It loads a different version of javax.persistence for
the OpenJPA integration test. So unless you are an AriesJPA developer, you would not know
about this.  How would anybody figure this out?

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2607 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-2607>
>>             openJpa(), //
>>             derbyDSF(), //
>>             testBundle()
>>         };
>>
>> Then the example does not use OpenJPA, but Hibernate, so there is no information
on how to make it work with OpenJPA out of the box.
>> One option here would be to have multiple specific features: jpa-hibernate, jpa-openjpa,
etc.

> Yes, that’s pretty much what is needed, but Karaf would be the place to create and
maintain those features.

>>> It is highly recommended that you use the JavaJPA contract in any of your bundles
using JPA so that you are isolated from the API version number changes in the future (most
Java EE specifications make major version bumps quite regularly).

>> I have this in my bundle’s osgi.bnd file:
>>
>> 	-contract: JavaJPA
>>
>> Is that all that is needed?  It does not indicate version.
>
> That is most of what is needed - you also need to be compiling against a library which
offers the contract (for example the spec bundles provided by Aries). If you do that you will
end up with Import-Package statements for javax.persistence (et al) with no version, but also
a Require-Capability: osgi.contract;filter:=(&(osgi.contract=JavaJPA)(version=XXX)) where
the XXX is determined from the Provide-Capability of the bundle you compiled against.

>>> The real problem is that the AriesJPA feature shouldn’t exist as a standalone
thing (it doesn’t make sense to deploy it on its own). It should come for free when you
install the OpenJPA (or Hibernate, or EclipseLink) feature, using whichever API they have
deployed.

>> Exactly, this is harder than it should be.  When I install a feature, I expect the
feature to bring in all that is needed, not having to chase down all these dependencies.
>> Is there an intention to take this approach any time soon?
>
> I’m afraid that would be a decision for the Karaf maintainers rather than me. I’m
only chipping in because I’m an Aries PMC member who deals quite a bit with the JPA and
Tx Control components.

> Best Regards,
>
> Tim Ward
>

>>> Tim

OpenJPA version 2.4.2.

resolved by:

provide the JPA engine, you have to install one by yourself (OpenJPA for instance)

from Apache Aries, as well as the JPA container. This is also all used and tested with Aries
Transaction Control, so you can look at the bundles used there.

<mailto:jb@nanthrax.net>> wrote:

> [...]
I thought).

OpenJPA 2.4.x
Deltaspike jpa support

> [...]