karaf-user mailing list archives

From Tim Ward <tim.w...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: MariaDB/JPA Transaction rollback not working
Date Fri, 18 May 2018 15:18:16 GMT
Hi,

Answers inline:

Sent from my iPhone

> On 18 May 2018, at 16:55, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com> wrote:
>
> Thank you Tim for the very detailed explanation.
> There are  two problems I don’t know how to resolve:
>
> 1- BND generates this for my bundle:
>
> 		Require-Capability:  osgi.extender;filter:="(&(osgi.extender=osgi.component)(version>=1.3.0)(!(version>=2.0.0)))”
>
> 	This is because I use the @Component and @Reference annotations.  This is strange, since
I should be using OSGi R7, so I am not sure why it is saying 1.3.0.  Now when try to run in
Karaf, even though I am installing scr feature, it fails with unresolved requirement.

So in the absence of information to the contrary this requirement is added based on your usage
of Declarative Services features. If you use DS 1.3 features then DS 1.3 will be required.

Since R7 added the bundle requirement annotations the @Component annotation has been annotated
to require DS at the current spec version (this gives a more consistent behaviour than bnd’s
heuristics). At a guess you are picking up a 1.3 requirement because you have the 1.3 annotations
ahead of the 1.4 annotations on your classpath, but it could be triggered by other things
too. On the other hand this isn’t actually a problem as the requirement is still satisfied
by DS 1.4 and both versions will work for you at runtime.

The Karaf scr feature really should be providing SCR 1.3 (which is required by the spec to
provide the extender capability. That has been the current version of the spec for three years,
and has been provided by Felix for at least 6 releases. I’d be pretty shocked if DS 1.3
wasn’t supported. You may need help from a more Karaf focussed person to confirm this.

> 	Since I could not find OSGi R7 in public Maven Repos, I followed EnRoute depending on:
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>org.osgi.enroute</groupId>
>         <artifactId>osgi-api</artifactId>
>         <version>7.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <type>pom</type>
>         <scope>provided</scope>
>       </dependency>
>       <dependency>
>         <groupId>org.osgi.enroute</groupId>
>         <artifactId>enterprise-api</artifactId>
>         <version>7.0.0-SNAPSHOT</version>
>         <type>pom</type>
>         <scope>provided</scope>
>       </dependency>

There’s no problem with you using these. On the other hand the OSGi API aggregations you
are looking for are:

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.osgi/osgi.core

https://mvnrepository.com/artifact/org.osgi/osgi.cmpn

You can also find the individual specs under the org.osgi group id if you want to use a smaller
hammer :)

> 2- This is minor, and I see it also in the EnRoute project. While the Maven build succeeds,
Eclipse BND plugin shows 2 errors:

> The default package '.' is not permitted by the Import-Package syntax. This can be caused
by compile errors in Eclipse because Eclipse creates valid class files regardless of compile
errors. The following package(s) import from the default package [org.enquery.encryptedquery.responder.data.service.impl]
(biz.aQute.bnd:bnd-maven-plugin:4.0.0:bnd-process:default:process-classes)	pom.xml	/encryptedquery-responder-data
line 0	Maven Build Participant Problem

> The project was not built since its build path is incomplete. Cannot find the class file
for javax.persistence.EntityManager. Fix the build path then try building this project	encryptedquery-responder-data
	Unknown	Java Problem

As the message suggests, this usually occurs when Eclipse has build errors for the project.
Specifically in this case you seem to be building against a project which exposes the EntityManager
interface somehow, but you don’t have the JPA API in your compile dependencies (normally
these would come come in transitively from the project you depend on).

I hope this helps,

Tim

> Best regards,
> Alex soto
>

>> On May 18, 2018, at 5:23 AM, Tim Ward <tim.ward@paremus.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Alex,
>>
>> The bundles you need are listed in the bndrun for the JPA version of the enRoute
application, but as I think you’re using OpenJPA (rather than Hibernate) it may help to
explain things in relation to the Transaction Control JPA integration test for OpenJPA. I’m
sure that at least some of this will be stuff you already know, but I’m trying to make sure
I give a compete explanation.

>> This method defines some extra properties to add to the persistence unit. It references
a couple of open bugs in OpenJPA which may or may not affect you. It also adds schema generation
as OpenJPA does not support the standard properties from JPA 2.1 https://github.com/apache/aries-tx-control/blob/master/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-jpa-itests/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/itests/SimpleOpenJPA_2_4_1_Test.java#L34

>> This method defines the OpenJPA bundles and their immediate dependencies. https://github.com/apache/aries-tx-control/blob/master/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-jpa-itests/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/itests/SimpleOpenJPA_2_4_1_Test.java#L48
>>
>> You then need:
>>
>> • Aries JPA 2.7.0 - this provides the OSGi JPA Service 1.1 RI (1.1 features are
needed by the Aries Tx Control JPA resource provider to support XA)

Transaction support. For example https://github.com/apache/aries-tx-control/blob/master/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-jpa-itests/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/itests/AbstractJPATransactionTest.java#L365

>> • Aries Tx Control JPA resource provider - either XA or local depending on your
needs. Note that you can’t use the XA provider with the local service, but you can use the
local provider with the XA service (although this doesn’t make a lot of sense to do). For
example https://github.com/apache/aries-tx-control/blob/master/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-jpa-itests/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/itests/AbstractJPATransactionTest.java#L377

>> • A JDBC Service implementation supporting your database driver. H2 supports this
natively (which is why it is used in many examples) but MariaDB does not. Therefore you will
need to deploy PAX-JDBC’s support. See https://github.com/ops4j/org.ops4j.pax.jdbc/tree/master/pax-jdbc-mariadb

>> You then have the option of either programmatically assembling your Resource Provider,
or using configuration. Configuration is generally easier and is what I normally recommend.
At that point you need to create a factory configuration for the relevant PID (it depends
on whether you use the local or XA resource provider, see https://github.com/apache/aries-tx-control/blob/master/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-jpa-itests/src/test/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/itests/AbstractJPATransactionTest.java#L175)

>> The necessary configuration properties are:
>>
>> • url - the JDBC URL for your database
>> • osgi.jdbc.driver.class - the database driver class name, in your case org.mariadb.jdbc.Driver
>> • osgi.unit.name - the name of your persistence unit
>>
>> The result of this configuration will be a JPAEntityManagerProvider service registered
in the service registry (using your EntityManagerFactoryBuilder and the MariaDB DataSourceFactory).
You can then Inject that service into your code and combine it with the TransactionControl
service to make a thread safe EntityManager that you can use in all your requests (just like
the enRoute example does).

>> I hope this helps,
>>
>> Tim
>>
>> Sent from my iPhone
>>
>>> On 17 May 2018, at 22:46, Alex Soto <alex.soto@envieta.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks Tim,
>>>
>>> I was using branch R7, changed to master, it builds now.
>>>
>>> Now I have updated my project to OSGi 7 with Transaction Control, how do I deploy
to Karaf?
>>> i.e., what bundles/features do I need?
>>>

>>> Best regards,
>>> Alex soto

yesterday in this commit https://github.com/osgi/osgi.enroute/commit/9f9857c3d317cd08a7aaf7327c1904676299f9ee
to make sure enRoute kept building.

is it possible that you’re running offline, or firewalled from the repo? You should be able
to force snapshot updates from the Maven command line.

its dependencies could not be resolved: Could not find artifact biz.aQute.bnd:bnd-maven-plugin:jar:4.0.0-SNAPSHOT
in Bnd Snapshots (https://bndtools.ci.cloudbees.com/job/bnd.master/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/dist/bundles/)
-> [Help 1]

control resource provider uses the DataSourceFactory directly to create a DataSource (either
progamatically using a factory service or via config admin) that enlists itself in the ongoing
transaction. This means that the answer to your question is “with Transaction Control you
don’t have to do that because it does it automatically”

the DataSourceFactory can produce an XADataSource, otherwise it just uses the standard JDBC
API to commit/rollback. If your DataSourceFactory doesn’t support XA then use the local
resource provider implementation.

supports transactions, then it will still not work, right?
when I change to MariaDB, and I will find myself in the same spot as of now.

register a transaction aware MariaDB DataSource.

is the enRoute Project. It contains Maven Archetypes, examples and worked tutorials for building
applications using R7 specifications.

established OSGi implementations from Aries and Felix. The majority of them are already released
and in Maven Central. Those that are still in the process of releasing (pretty much just the
JAX-RS whiteboard) are available in the Apache Snapshots repository. I am not aware of any
implementations that require R7 framework features, so all of them should run on Karaf.

level at this time, availability of bundles, examples, support by Karaf, etc.

JNDI service specification.

instances, but they should have different filters.

enlisting DataSource registered as a service (this isn’t just your normal DataSource), then
to build a filter which selects that. One option for this is to use the enlistment whiteboard
from Aries (not well documented) https://github.com/apache/aries/tree/trunk/transaction/transaction-jdbc

keep mentioning Transaction Control which handles the enlistment reliably without the layers
of services.

I have no idea.

and non JTA DataSources. This is clearly wrong as the DataSource cannot simultaneously be
enlisted in the Transaction and not enlisted. The comments also indicate a misunderstanding
of the purpose of the non-jta-datasource, which absolutely is used with JTA EntityManagers
(for things like sequence allocation and out of band optimisations). You really do need to
have both and they do need to behave differently.

with the transaction manager present in the system.  This usually happens by configuring a
(otherwise invisible) DataSource wrapper There is nothing forcing you to make this happen
(or checking that it does) hence your transactions would be broken. This is one of the several
reasons I try to direct people to Transaction Control where the model actively pushes you
toward transactions that actually work, rather than hiding all the magic behind an annotation.

what might be wrong.

Onofré <jb@nanthrax.net> wrote:

> [...]
looks weird to me and it seems you don't use container managed transaction.

Narayana Transaction Manager, and same result.

?

Soto wrote:
> [...]
Rollback is not working with MariaDB and InnoDB tables.
(from Karaf’s enterprise  repository):
in the file /org.ops4j.datasource-responder.cfg/
mariadb
xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/persistence"
name="responderPersistenUnit" transaction-type="JTA">
when transaction-type=JTA -->
when transaction-type=RESOURCE_LOCAL -->
name=“hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.MySQL5Dialect" />
name="hibernate.show_sql" value="true" />
name="hibernate.format_sql" value="true" />
name="hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto" value="none"/>
class="org.data.impl.UserServiceImpl" />
interface="org.data.UserService" />
in my DAO:
user) {
Purpose");
be in the table due to rollback of the transaction, but it still shows up in my database table.