karaf-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Confused about feature dependency="true"
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2017 10:56:22 GMT
It's all about constraints.
If something does not work when installed, it means that the constraints
are not correctly expressed.
If you use the maven bundle plugin for example, it should generate service
requirements for the various namespace handlers used.  Those will be used
at resolution time, unless you use an old feature namespace.

For the dependency flag, a rough heuristic is that bundles/features from
the project have dependency="false" while external ones have
dependency="true".

Also, make sure to at least use the karaf maven plugin to validate the
resolution of your features at build time.  At least, this will ensure that
all constraints are solved somehow.

> Does the same appply to features?
>
> Because I've noticed an improvement, after marking the dependent features
> as
> dependency="true":
>
>     <feature dependency="true">service1-core</feture>
>
> However, if I've done the same for all my features, including system ones
> (jpa, transaction-api, transaction etc.) I've ended up with my bundles not
> starting because the blueprint namespace handlers were not installed...
>
> I've reached the point where the whole orchestration is very fragile. I
> need
> often to stop Karaf after installing all features and start it again, so
> that everything starts fine.
>

> --

Guillaume Nodet