karaf-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <tim.w...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: What's the recommended way of reading configuration?
Date Sun, 03 Dec 2017 12:10:26 GMT
> I would more recommend a ManagedService or inject the ConfigAdmin service.

This is really bad advice, and Steinar should definitely not do either of these things (nor
should other readers of this mail chain).

Steinar has already indicated that he wants to use Declarative Services, so implementing ManagedService
is both unnecessary and ties him to an API that he has no need to implement. It also prevents
him from using Component Property Types, defaults, annotations, and forces him to use Dictionary
for his configuration. Finally, it also makes his component’s lifecycle management harder,
as he would have to manage all the reconfiguration dynamics himself.
Injecting the Config Admin service is inevitably the wrong way for any user to read configuration
in OSGi. The only people who should ever access the ConfigurationAdmin service directly are
management agents like Felix File Install and Felix Web Console (and whatever component in
Karaf does the same job).

The correct way to consume configuration in DS is to receive it via your activate method -
if you think that you need to do something else then you have most likely got the wrong design.

If you’re not using DS then most component frameworks still provide you with configuration
in a similar way (injection of a map). If you’re determined to do things the hard way (without
a framework) then, and only then, should you implement ManagedService or ManagedServiceFactory,
and you should absolutely never try to consume your configuration directly from the Configuration
Admin service (it’s simply not designed to be used this way).

Regards,

Tim