karaf-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Developing for karaf
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2017 12:07:06 GMT
Hi Tom,

You can also create your own Karaf custom distro.

We are also discussing about Karaf Boot to simplify the bootstrapping/ramp up on
Karaf. Short term, we are working on an improved dev guide.

Back on your question:
1. From a dev perspective, you can have a running karaf instance, you just do
mvn install on your bundle, and thanks to bundle:watch, it's automatically
updated in Karaf (not need to perform any command).
2. For debugging, you are right: just start karaf in debug mode (bin/karaf
debug), it binds port 5005 by default, and then, connect your IDE remotely.

Regards
JB

On 09/05/2017 01:48 PM, tom@quarendon.net wrote:
> I'm trying to get an idea of how people go about developing for karaf, from a practical
point of view.

> So karaf is maven focused. There are archetypes for creating command, general bundles
and so on.
> I can then use maven to generate some eclipse project files that allow me to write and
compile my code within eclipse. I guess if I need extra dependencies, I have to edit my pom
and hopefully eclipse picks this up (never really done serious maven development, so I don't
know how this process really works).

> When I want to try something out, I have to perform a maven build, start up a copy of
karaf, install the bundle (or bundles) into it, then try out my new code? All from the command
line?
> What about debugging? You start karaf with the "debug" option and then remotely connect
eclipse to the karaf instance so that you can then place breakpoints and step through the
code if necessary? Does it just magically find all the source code?

> Just trying to get a picture of what the expected workflow is and whether I'm missing
anything. We're used to doing things in bndtools where you've got eclipse tooling for everything,
so I'm just trying to do a mental reset really on what a "karaf/maven centric" development
environment and process would look like. (I'm aware of the "Integrate Apache Karaf and Bnd
toolchain" article, but we've had limited success with it beyond simple "hello world" examples.
Maybe we just need more perseverance).

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org