karaf-user mailing list archives

From Timothy Ward <tim.w...@paremus.com>
Subject Re: Antw: Re: OSGi Transaction control fails with hibernate
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2017 09:40:08 GMT
Hi Alexander,

As has been discussed on the Aries lists before, I have no problem with someone creating a
separate implementation of the Transaction Control service which leverages the OSGi JTA Service
Specification. The reason that the current implementation doesn’t do this is twofold:

By embedding a transaction manager the current Tx Control implementation can avoid the javax.transaction
split package from the JVM. This makes the implementation easier to use and deploy because
the user doesn’t need to mess around with the boot class path, or worry about what JTA version
is available
By embedding a transaction manager the current Tx control implementation can rely on specific
behaviours of the transaction manager that it uses. This means that the Tx control implementation
can support the last resource gambit and XA recovery.

If this is a proof of concept project then are you able to share it somewhere (e.g. GitHub)?
I’d like to help you get to the bottom of the NPE that you’re seeing as I don’t think
it should be possible for that to be happening!

Finally - yes the Aries user list is the best place to talk about this, but I don’t want
to move the conversation myself as I don’t know whether you’re registered for that list,
and don’t want you to miss my replies.

Regards,

Tim

with blueprint and @Transactional annotation was working fine.

> To have better control over startup dependencies and cope with disappearing and appearing
services during runtime we invest some time in a Proof-Of-Concept for switching over to declarative
services (DS). Everything works fine so far - even restful services for DS with cxf-dosgi
works fine. Last bit to get it working is transaction management. With DS, the @Transactional
annotation is not working anymore due to the lack of interceptors with DS.

> What do you think of the idea that tx-control should pick up a JTS Transaction manager
from the service registry instead of creating an own one with new operator which is in fact
tightly coupled. To implement loose coupling here we should add a factory that may be configurable
in the factory config file.

> BTW, should we switch the discussion to aries group still?
>
> Best, Alexander.
>

> Hi Alexander,
>
> That looks like it should be fine - what version of Aries JPA are you using? There were
some fixes made to Aries JPA in 2.4.0 to add support for JPA 2.1 configuration properties
which are needed by the transaction control implementation, and I think that there were then
more fixes in 2.5.0 which are needed to get XA working with Hibernate. 2.6.1 is the latest
release version.

> Regards,
>
> Tim
>

>> On 13 Sep 2017, at 15:42, alexander.sahler@brodos.de <mailto:alexander.sahler@brodos.de>
wrote:

>> Thanks Tim for the update.
>>
>> I tried the approach with providing a factory config in karaf.dir/etc/org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa.cfg
with config as:
>> osgi.unit.name=DSContext2
>> osgi.jdbc.driver.class=org.h2.Driver
>> url=jdbc:h2:mem:article
>> user=sa
>> password=
>>
>> whilst having a mininmal persistence.xml like:
>> <persistence-unit name="DSContext" >
>>         <properties>
>>             <property name="hibernate.dialect" value="org.hibernate.dialect.H2Dialect"
/>
>>         </properties>
>>     </persistence-unit>
>>
>> (without the dialect I see another exception; Access to DialectResolutionInfo cannot
be null when 'hibernate.dialect' not set).

>> Now I get further in the process (transaction enlistment works) but when actually
accessing the database, the entity manager throws a NPE while trying to open the connection.
In JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.EnlistingDataSource.enlistedConnection() while calling
supplier.call, the supplier.delegate member is null:

>> org.osgi.service.transaction.control.TransactionException: There was a problem getting
hold of a database connection
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa.impl.JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl$EnlistingDataSource.enlistedConnection(JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.java:241)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa.impl.JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl$EnlistingDataSource.getConnection(JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.java:193)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.connections.internal.DatasourceConnectionProviderImpl.getConnection(DatasourceConnectionProviderImpl.java:122)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.internal.NonContextualJdbcConnectionAccess.obtainConnection(NonContextualJdbcConnectionAccess.java:35)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.resource.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.acquireConnectionIfNeeded(LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.java:99)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.resource.jdbc.internal.LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.getPhysicalConnection(LogicalConnectionManagedImpl.java:129)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl.connection(StatementPreparerImpl.java:47)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl$5.doPrepare(StatementPreparerImpl.java:146)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl$StatementPreparationTemplate.prepareStatement(StatementPreparerImpl.java:172)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.internal.StatementPreparerImpl.prepareQueryStatement(StatementPreparerImpl.java:148)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.prepareQueryStatement(Loader.java:1940) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.executeQueryStatement(Loader.java:1909) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.executeQueryStatement(Loader.java:1887) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQuery(Loader.java:932) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doQueryAndInitializeNonLazyCollections(Loader.java:349)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2615) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.doList(Loader.java:2598) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.listIgnoreQueryCache(Loader.java:2430) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.Loader.list(Loader.java:2425) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.loader.custom.CustomLoader.list(CustomLoader.java:335) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.internal.SessionImpl.listCustomQuery(SessionImpl.java:2153)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.internal.AbstractSharedSessionContract.list(AbstractSharedSessionContract.java:991)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.query.internal.NativeQueryImpl.doList(NativeQueryImpl.java:147)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.query.internal.AbstractProducedQuery.list(AbstractProducedQuery.java:1410)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.hibernate.query.internal.AbstractProducedQuery.getSingleResult(AbstractProducedQuery.java:1459)
~[?:?]
>>         at com.brodos.ds.persistence.h2.TestRepositoryImpl.lambda$checkHealth$0(TestRepositoryImpl.java:47)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.service.common.impl.AbstractTransactionControlImpl$TransactionBuilderImpl.doWork(AbstractTransactionControlImpl.java:161)
[241:tx-control-service-xa:0.0.3]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.service.common.impl.AbstractTransactionControlImpl$TransactionBuilderImpl.required(AbstractTransactionControlImpl.java:84)
[241:tx-control-service-xa:0.0.3]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.service.common.impl.AbstractTransactionControlImpl.required(AbstractTransactionControlImpl.java:263)
[241:tx-control-service-xa:0.0.3]
>>         at com.brodos.ds.persistence.h2.TestRepositoryImpl.checkHealth(TestRepositoryImpl.java:44)
[160:com.brodos.example.ds.DSContext-infrastructure:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT]
>>         at com.brodos.ds.service.impl.MainHealthCheck.checkHealth(MainHealthCheck.java:29)
[209:com.brodos.example.ds.DSContext-service:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT]
>>         at com.brodos.ds.application.boundary.impl.HealthCheckImpl.checkHealth(HealthCheckImpl.java:37)
[212:com.brodos.example.ds.DSContext-application:1.0.0.SNAPSHOT]
>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
>>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
~[?:?]
>>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
~[?:?]
>>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497) ~[?:?]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.service.invoker.AbstractInvoker.performInvocation(AbstractInvoker.java:180)
[84:org.apache.cxf.cxf-core:3.1.12]
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invokeDestination(ServletController.java:234)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:208)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.ServletController.invoke(ServletController.java:160)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.CXFNonSpringServlet.invoke(CXFNonSpringServlet.java:189)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.handleRequest(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:299)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.doGet(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:223)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:687) [69:javax.servlet-api:3.1.0]
>>         at org.apache.cxf.transport.servlet.AbstractHTTPServlet.service(AbstractHTTPServlet.java:274)
[92:org.apache.cxf.cxf-rt-transports-http:3.1.12]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:845)
[128:org.eclipse.jetty.servlet:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:584)
[128:org.eclipse.jetty.servlet:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.HttpServiceServletHandler.doHandle(HttpServiceServletHandler.java:71)
[150:org.ops4j.pax.web.pax-web-jetty:6.0.6]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:143)
[127:org.eclipse.jetty.server:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:548)
[125:org.eclipse.jetty.security:9.3.14.v20161028]
[119:org.eclipse.jetty.io <http://org.eclipse.jetty.io/>:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:95) [119:org.eclipse.jetty.io
<http://org.eclipse.jetty.io/>:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.io.SelectChannelEndPoint$2.run(SelectChannelEndPoint.java:93)
[119:org.eclipse.jetty.io <http://org.eclipse.jetty.io/>:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.executeProduceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:303)
[130:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.produceConsume(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:148)
[130:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.ExecuteProduceConsume.run(ExecuteProduceConsume.java:136)
[130:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:671)
[130:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:589)
[130:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.3.14.v20161028]
>>         at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:?]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa.impl.JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl$EnlistingDataSource.lambda$getConnection$4(JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.java:193)
~[?:?]
>>         at org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa.impl.JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl$EnlistingDataSource.enlistedConnection(JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.java:230)
~[?:?]
>>         ... 78 more
>>
>> Best, Alexander
>>

>> Hi Alexander,
>>
>> So what you’re doing is passing a fully configured EntityManagerFactory to the
resource provider factory. If you create the provider this way then you are responsible for
setting up all of the EntityManagerFactory’s configuration, including how it’s going to
integrate with transaction control. For local transactions there is nothing to integrate with
, but in the general case this is actually quite hard to do, and I would advise not trying
to do it.

>> As you can see the EntityManagerFactory version of the provider factory <https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/ed8dbc79758766081203056cff27eb0bcbd7efb3/tx-control/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-provider-jpa-xa/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/jpa/xa/impl/JPAEntityManagerProviderFactoryImpl.java#L122>
does quite a bit less setup on your behalf than the configuration-driven version does <https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/ed8dbc79758766081203056cff27eb0bcbd7efb3/tx-control/tx-control-providers/jpa/tx-control-provider-jpa-xa/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/tx/control/jpa/xa/impl/XAJPAEMFLocator.java#L72>.
If you were to
>> provide a factory configuration for the “org.apache.aries.tx.control.jpa.xa”
pid containing “osgi.unit.name=<your persistence unit’s name>” and any necessary
datasource configuration (i.e. that’s not coming from the persistence xml) then you could
inject the JPAEntityManagerProvider directly as a service.

at http://aries.apache.org/modules/tx-control/xaJPA.html#creating-a-resource-using-a-factory-configuration
<http://aries.apache.org/modules/tx-control/xaJPA.html#creating-a-resource-using-a-factory-configuration>

>> Another thing that probably could be done would be to look at dynamically installing
the plugin when using the EntityManagerFactoryBuilder version of the factory method. This,
however, would need a patch to Aries Transaction Control, and would still not make your existing
code work.

>> Regards,
>>
>> Tim
>>

>>> On 13 Sep 2017, at 10:59, <alexander.sahler@brodos.de <mailto:alexander.sahler@brodos.de>>
<alexander.sahler@brodos.de <mailto:alexander.sahler@brodos.de>> wrote:

>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> I use a JPAEntityManagerProviderFactory (providerFactory) which I inject as a
service reference into my repository class.
>>> Furthermore, I inject a EntityManagerFactory (emf) into the repository class
as well as the TransactionControl (txControl).

>>> The provider Factory is created by pax-jdbc (I use hibernate).
>>>
>>> This provider factory is then used to get the Entity manager like this:
>>>
>>> EntityManager em = providerFactory.getProviderFor(emf, null).getResource(txControl);
>>>
>>> It fails giving an exception telling that transaction cannot be joined, because
it's not open.

>>> The wrapping call is like this:
>>> txControl.build()
>>>                 .required(
>>>                         () -> repo.store(article));
>>>
>>> Best, Alexander.
>>>

>>> Hi Alexander,
>>>
>>> Do you have a code example of how you’re obtaining and using the EntityManager?
There should be no usage of the OSGiJtaPlatform from the tx-control XA JPA resource provider,
which means that there’s either a bug in the resource provider, or something is misconfigured.
If you are a member of the Aries user mailing list then that would be a better place to continue
this discussion.

>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Tim

abstraction layer on top of transaction managers so that some features can be accessed in
a common way.  I think this should be used in tx-control instead of wrapping the tm again
and not being flexible.
no way around afaik, so you can't use the karaf transaction feature if you want to use it.

(derived from geronimo's TransactionManager Implementation) explicitly instead of using the
registered TransactionManager (aries in my case for karaf 4.0.9). When hibernate EntityManager
implementation tries to join the transaction it fails because it uses the TransactionManager
provided by OsgiJtaPlatform (from hibernate-osgi) which is of course the one registered in
osgi ecosystem.