karaf-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Potential security issue with default karaf console access control lists?
Date Thu, 31 Aug 2017 12:04:28 GMT
I agree: as we did for vi/edit command, we should limit cat to admin role.

Can you create a Jira about that ?

Thanks !
Regards
JB

On 08/31/2017 01:01 PM, tom@quarendon.net wrote:
> Any user that can log on to the karaf console appears to be able to run the "shell:cat"
command (among others), and hence view any file that the operating system user that's running
the karaf process can see. Whilst there is access control on a few of the shell scope commands,
it seems that the default access control allows any user to run things with no explicit access
control.

> This *feels* like a security issue to me.
>
> I'd like to be able to restrict access to the shell completely, but from experiment and
looking at the code it appears that anyone who has some kind of "role" assigned to them (either
directly, or as a member of a group) appears to be able to connect to the karaf console, and
hence can potentially navigate the visible filesystem.  This doesn't feel very desirable.

> It seems a shame that I can no longer restrict access to the console using the "sshRole"
configuration property (still referenced in the documentation), but it seems that was removed
when the role based access control was introduced.

> Other than physically restricting access to the SSH port, are there other ways I can
restrict access to the console? Or do I need to develop my own access control list for the
shell scope, and accept that all users can potentially access the console?

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org