karaf-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Writing commands for karaf shell.
Date Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:27:57 GMT
On 21.07.2017 12:27, tom@quarendon.net wrote:
> Yes, but what's the actual situation from a standards point of view?
> Is a shell defined by a standard at all? OSGi enroute seems to require a gogo shell and
appears to rely on felix gogo shell command framework.
> Is it just that Karaf happens to ship a shell that happens to be based on the felix gogo
shell (or perhaps not, but stack traces seem to suggest so), but that basically if I want
to implement a shell command I have to implement it differently for each shell type?

> That seems a poor situation and leaves me with having to implement one command implementation
to be used in the development environment and one that is used in the karaf deployment.

> Originally I thought that Karaf was the "enterprise version of felix". This doesn't seem
to be the case?

> There *could* be a really powerful environment and ecosystem here, if it was all a *little*
bit less fragmented :-)
I fully agree that we need to work towards more common approaches. The
OSGi ecosystem is too small to afford being fragmented like this.
We all have the chance and duty to work on improving this though.

Christian

--
Christian Schneider
http://www.liquid-reality.de