karaf-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: Custom distribution - different feature types in karaf-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 11:47:43 GMT
Hi Stephen,

the <startupFeatures> are actually meta-features: the bundles in such features
are added to etc/startup.properties. It's the "lowest" part of Karaf.

the <bootFeatures> are concrete features, added at startup of the features
service (in etc/org.apache.karaf.features.cfg). This is the recommended approach
for your features.

The framework is managed differently as it provides more than just the bundles
in startup.properties: it also brings the resources (etc files, bin files).

By the way, I'm preparing my talk for ApacheCon where I show how to create a
custom distribution and a corresponding docker image used by Mesos to populate
the Cellar cluster.

I will share my code soon.

Regards
JB

On 05/04/2017 01:30 PM, Siano, Stephan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is some documentation on how to create a custom distribution of karaf. In general
it seems to be recommended to use the karaf-maven-plugin for that.

> The features preinstalled in the custom distribution can be defined by different configurations
in the karaf-maven-plugin, but I am not sure whether I really understood the functionality
correctly:

> The <framework> configuration can contain a single feature from the framework kar.
This is usually "framework", but "framework-logback" is also possible.

> The <bootFeatures>, <installedFeatures>, and <startupFeatures> tags
can all contain a list of features that are available in feature dependencies (with runtime
scope).

> If I got that right, the installedFeatures are available on the running node and can
be installed without network access but are not installed and started by default. Is this
correct?

> What is the difference between the bootFeatures and the startupFeatures? The documentation
states that startupFeatures are written to the startup.properties with the appropriate start
level whereas bootFeatures are added to boot-features in the feature service, but what is
the difference between these two approaches?

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org