karaf-user mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Custom distribution - different feature types in karaf-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 11:50:21 GMT

> Hi,
>
> There is some documentation on how to create a custom distribution of
> karaf. In general it seems to be recommended to use the karaf-maven-plugin
> for that.
>
> The features preinstalled in the custom distribution can be defined by
> different configurations in the karaf-maven-plugin, but I am not sure
> whether I really understood the functionality correctly:
>
> The <framework> configuration can contain a single feature from the
> framework kar. This is usually "framework", but "framework-logback" is also
> possible.
>
> The <bootFeatures>, <installedFeatures>, and <startupFeatures> tags
can
> all contain a list of features that are available in feature dependencies
> (with runtime scope).
>
> If I got that right, the installedFeatures are available on the running
> node and can be installed without network access but are not installed and
> started by default. Is this correct?

Yes

> What is the difference between the bootFeatures and the startupFeatures?
> The documentation states that startupFeatures are written to the
> startup.properties with the appropriate start level whereas bootFeatures
> are added to boot-features in the feature service, but what is the
> difference between these two approaches?
>
> The framework feature also goes into the startup.properties, so why is the
> framework handled separately?

Because the framework has to be a kar file and provides the startup scripts
and basic configuration files.
The framework property itself is not required, the plugin can infer it from
the dependencies list if you have a dependency on
mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/framework/ or
mvn:org.apache.karaf.features/static/ kar.

Also and fwiw, there are 4 framework supported atm: framework,
framework-logback, static-framework, static-framework-logback.
The static ones are used to build "static" distributions, i.e. the ways to
deploy bundles at runtime or even change configuration are removed.  Those
are useful when building micro-services applications for example.

--
Guillaume Nodet