karaf-user mailing list archives

From "Siano, Stephan" <stephan.si...@sap.com>
Subject Custom distribution - different feature types in karaf-maven-plugin
Date Thu, 04 May 2017 11:30:19 GMT
Hi,

There is some documentation on how to create a custom distribution of karaf. In general it
seems to be recommended to use the karaf-maven-plugin for that.

The features preinstalled in the custom distribution can be defined by different configurations
in the karaf-maven-plugin, but I am not sure whether I really understood the functionality
correctly:

The <framework> configuration can contain a single feature from the framework kar. This
is usually "framework", but "framework-logback" is also possible.

The <bootFeatures>, <installedFeatures>, and <startupFeatures> tags can
all contain a list of features that are available in feature dependencies (with runtime scope).

If I got that right, the installedFeatures are available on the running node and can be installed
without network access but are not installed and started by default. Is this correct?

What is the difference between the bootFeatures and the startupFeatures? The documentation
states that startupFeatures are written to the startup.properties with the appropriate start
level whereas bootFeatures are added to boot-features in the feature service, but what is
the difference between these two approaches?

The framework feature also goes into the startup.properties, so why is the framework handled
separately?

Best regards
Stephan