karaf-user mailing list archives

From Łukasz Dywicki <l...@code-house.org>
Subject Re: Karaf IoT
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 20:53:49 GMT
I am OpenHab (OH) 2 user and I I must say that whole PDE thing is redundant from my Karaf (as
a platform) point of view. But this all comes from past of project which was launched with
Tycho and PDE since early days. There are multiple entities involved in project and it is
not an easy task to redefine how things should be built.

Initial apis of OH were quite simple and didn’t require anything strictly related to physical
thing. Starting form OH2 and extraction of Eclipse SmartHome there is a seperation of concerns.
OH2 bindings define Bridge and Things connected over it and may have Channels associated with
every of these. At this stage it is lowest common denominator. There is no higher level APIs
for representing pumps, boilers or sensors or alarms but from other hand OH is not a SCADA
platform. Maybe at some point there will be further generalization of code which will allow
bindings to gain some benefits? Many of bindings is pure software integration with vendor
bridges having very little or no hardware involved at all which makes it easier to develop.

I haven’t played with Kura so far because I didn’t need such low level library, but even
if I would need something such that I would rather go for dedicated library handling specific
use case instead of Kura which brings too much.

Kind regards,
Lukasz
--
Apache Karaf Committer & PMC