karaf-user mailing list archives

From Dario Amiri <dariusham...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:28:14 GMT
I use Docker and Karaf. I've never had a problem creating a Docker image of my Karaf container.
What I gain is freedom from having to worry about dependency related issues such as whether
the right JRE is available.

That being said there are some challenges when using Karaf to build 12-factor apps. FWIW here's
my two item list of what would make Karaf a more attractive platform from a 12-factor app
perspective.

1. The ability to inject Karaf configuration through the environment (e.g. environment variables).
Not just a single property, but an entire config admin managed configuration file if necessary.
Even the existing support for reading property values from the environment is cumbersome because
it requires having to setup that relationship as a Java system property as well.

2. The ability to package Karaf as a standalone runnable jar. Looks like Karaf boot is addressing
this. I hope it comes with tooling that makes it easy to transition to this kind of model.