karaf-user mailing list archives

From Nick Baker <nba...@pentaho.com>
Subject Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 12:44:46 GMT
Thanks Guillaume!

This is perfect for our microservice/containerized Karaf. I'll give this a try and see if
we can get our features in startup. We've had issues in the past here.

-Nick Baker

________________________________
From: Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2017 5:55:24 AM
To: user
Subject: Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf

Fwiw, starting with Karaf 4.x, you can build custom distributions which are mostly static,
and that more closely map to micro-services / docker images.  The "static" images are called
this way because you they kinda remove all the OSGi dynamism, i.e. no feature service, no
deploy folder, read-only config admin, all bundles being installed at startup time from etc/startup.properties.
This can be easily done by using the karaf maven plugin and configuring startupFeatures and
referencing the static kar, as shown in:
  https://github.com/apache/karaf/blob/master/demos/profiles/static/pom.xml

Not a question but a request for comments. With a focus on Java.

Container technology has traditionally been messy with dependencies and no
easy failsafe way until Docker came along to really pack ALL dependencies
(including the JVM) together in one ready-to-ship image that was faster,
more comfortable, and easier to understand than other container and code
shipping methods out there. The spectrum from (Classical) Java EE Containers
(e.g. Tomcat, Jetty) --> Java Application Servers that are containerized
(Karaf, Wildfly, etc), Application Delivery Containers (Docker) and
Virtualization (VMWare, Hyper-V) etc. offers a different level of isolation
with different goals (abstraction, isolation and delivery).

What are the choices, how should they play together, should they be used in
conjunction with each other as they offer different kinds of
Containerization?

<http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/file/n4049162/Levels_of_Containerization.png>