karaf-user mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david.a.jen...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 21:06:46 GMT
I don’t really know anything about Docker.  It sounds like you can start Docker instances
so that each instance has different environment variables?  Otherwise it’s not clear to
me what the point of what you want is.

I would think it would be pretty easy to extend fileinstall (or whatever Karaf uses to move
the configuration from files to config admin) so it would do property substitution based on
environment variables.

david jencks

> On Jan 13, 2017, at 12:21 PM, Dario Amiri <dariushamiri@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Let me expand on why this is desirable. Without the ability to set configuration through
environment variables, I essentially have to create a docker image for each deployment. I
have a root Dockerfile which assembles the main Karaf container image and brings in dependencies
such as the JRE, then I have a Dockerfile for each deployment environment which builds on
top of the root image by overriding deployment specific configuration. Automation reduces
this burden but it is not ideal.tar

> If I could set the contents of a config file in an environment variable, I could just
pass the configuration directly to my root karaf docker image without having to build on top
of it.

> Being able to start Karaf as "java -jar karaf.jar" is desirable because it makes it easier
to use a Karaf based application with PaaS such as Heroku and Cloud Foundry.

> On 01/13/2017 12:10 PM, Dario Amiri wrote:
>> Ideally, I want to be able to do:
>>
>> java -jar my-karaf.jar
>>
>> And I can override individual configuration files using some environment variable
convention.

>> On 01/13/2017 11:56 AM, Brad Johnson wrote:
>>> Does it have to be an executable jar file or just a standalone executable? The
static profiles actually create and zip up a full Karaf/felix/dependency/application implementation
that when unzipped has all the standard bin directory items.

>>> Brad

Karaf container. What I gain is freedom from having to worry about dependency related issues
such as whether the right JRE is available.

>>> That being said there are some challenges when using Karaf to build 12-factor
apps. FWIW here's my two item list of what would make Karaf a more attractive platform from
a 12-factor app perspective.

>>> 1. The ability to inject Karaf configuration through the environment (e.g. environment
variables). Not just a single property, but an entire config admin managed configuration file
if necessary. Even the existing support for reading property values from the environment is
cumbersome because it requires having to setup that relationship as a Java system property
as well.

>>> 2. The ability to package Karaf as a standalone runnable jar. Looks like Karaf
boot is addressing this. I hope it comes with tooling that makes it easy to transition to
this kind of model.

>>> On 01/12/2017 04:44 AM, Nick Baker wrote:
>>> Thanks Guillaume!
>>>

>>> This is perfect for our microservice/containerized Karaf. I'll give this a try
and see if we can get our features in startup. We've had issues in the past here.

>>> -Nick Baker

static, and that more closely map to micro-services / docker images.  The "static" images
are called this way because you they kinda remove all the OSGi dynamism, i.e. no feature service,
no deploy folder, read-only config admin, all bundles being installed at startup time from
etc/startup.properties.
>>> This can be easily done by using the karaf maven plugin and configuring startupFeatures
and referencing the static kar, as shown in: