karaf-user mailing list archives

From Vincent Zurczak <vincent.zurc...@linagora.com>
Subject Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf
Date Wed, 11 Jan 2017 21:54:44 GMT
Hi,

Le 11/01/2017 à 22:18, Brad Johnson a écrit :
> So I don't know enough about Docker internals/configuration requirements but
> I have a question. Is installing a JRE in each Docker container the common
> practice as opposed to some mechanism for sharing it? The JRE alone is
> 180MB.

Just get or build a Docker image with the JRE inside.
This way, you will only use 180MB on your disk (plus the OS size).
You then instantiate this image to create one or several containers. One
definition, several instances, just like classes: one definition in
jars, but several instances in memory.

Le 11/01/2017 à 21:07, CodeCola a écrit :
> Not a question but a request for comments. With a focus on Java.
>
> Container technology has traditionally been messy with dependencies and no
> easy failsafe way until Docker came along to really pack ALL dependencies
> (including the JVM) together in one ready-to-ship image that was faster,
> more comfortable, and easier to understand than other container and code
> shipping methods out there. The spectrum from (Classical) Java EE Containers
> (e.g. Tomcat, Jetty) --> Java Application Servers that are containerized
> (Karaf, Wildfly, etc), Application Delivery Containers (Docker) and
> Virtualization (VMWare, Hyper-V) etc. offers a different level of isolation
> with different goals (abstraction, isolation and delivery).
>
> What are the choices, how should they play together, should they be used in
> conjunction with each other as they offer different kinds of
> Containerization?

I work on a project which is relies on Karaf and that manages cloud
infrastructures (so, VMs) but also Docker containers.
It all depends on what you want. If all your software components are
Java ones, using an OSGi container is enough (my main interest in OSGi
is about class loading isolation, even though there are some other
pretty good stuff). If you have heterogenous components (different
languages, different versions...), Docker containers can help a lot. But
they cannot solve all the problems.

First, the host system has limited resources. When you reach a given
number of containers or resources consumption, new ones will starve. So,
you need new VMs. Second, Docker containers are not totally isolated.
They use the same kernel than the host system, as well as some
properties (global namespace). And I have already seen a Docker
container that could not stop (I had to restart the host system... :().
This is why you also need VM management. This is about architecture and
addressing fail-over, replication, load balancing and so on. Container
solutions like Docker Swarm or Kubernetes generally rely on a cluster of
VMs. And thanks to placement constraints, you create, dispatch, move
Docker containers on this or that node.

Then, I regularly run Docker containers that embed a Karaf server, and
the container itself runs in a VM that was dynamically created in a
cloud infrastructure. They work together, each layer having its own
purpose. This is a matter of design. If you deal with (Java) application
development, you can benefit from Java containers (OSGi, JEE...). If you
deal with architecturing a solution with several applications, you may
consider using VMs (old-school) or Docker containers. When you deal with
containers, you will eventually manage several VMs. And you can also mix
containers and VMs. Indeed, some applications just do not fit well
within containers. Those that manage data, such as databases, can be
part of them.

So, they SHOULD not be used together.
They CAN be used together. It is then up to you to determine what you
need and why you make this or that choice. Should I say "as usual"? ;)

Regards,

--
Vincent Zurczak
Linagora: www.linagora.com <http://www.linagora.com/>