karaf-user mailing list archives

From "Brad Johnson" <bradj...@redhat.com>
Subject RE: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf
Date Fri, 13 Jan 2017 19:56:01 GMT
Does it have to be an executable jar file or just a standalone executable?
The static profiles actually create and zip up a full
Karaf/felix/dependency/application implementation that when unzipped has all
the standard bin directory items.

Brad

From: Dario Amiri [mailto:dariushamiri@hotmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 13, 2017 1:28 PM
To: user@karaf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Levels of Containerization - focus on Docker and Karaf

I use Docker and Karaf. I've never had a problem creating a Docker image of
my Karaf container. What I gain is freedom from having to worry about
dependency related issues such as whether the right JRE is available.

That being said there are some challenges when using Karaf to build
12-factor apps. FWIW here's my two item list of what would make Karaf a more
attractive platform from a 12-factor app perspective.

1. The ability to inject Karaf configuration through the environment (e.g.
environment variables). Not just a single property, but an entire config
admin managed configuration file if necessary. Even the existing support for
reading property values from the environment is cumbersome because it
requires having to setup that relationship as a Java system property as
well.

2. The ability to package Karaf as a standalone runnable jar. Looks like
Karaf boot is addressing this. I hope it comes with tooling that makes it
easy to transition to this kind of model.