karaf-user mailing list archives

From "Brad Red Hat" <bradj...@redhat.com>
Subject RE: Karaf IoT
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2017 00:07:46 GMT
I just wanted to follow this up with a quick comment that might not have been obvious from
the previous posts.  I think something like a GpioController is the wrong level of abstraction
to be exporting as a service from the board level bundles.  Those exports should be configured
pin or device services.  The only place to configure all the pins/devices for a given implementation
remain with the board's bundle.  Switch the board you are using and you simply modify the
boards pin configuration service exports from that board's bundle to match what is required.
All actuator and sensor bundles that use those pins simply work without modification.  All
the application level bundles that use the exported services from the actuators and sensors
continue to work as well.

Configuration details remain consolidated at the levels which require them.

-----Original Message-----
From: Łukasz Dywicki [mailto:luke@code-house.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2017 4:25 PM
To: user@karaf.apache.org
Subject: Re: Karaf IoT

Brad,
If you have service dependant on presence of some board you can make it conditional. Just
use OSGi service lifecycle to deregister service when device is disconnected. Service consumers
should be aware of it or at least should not call injected service any longer. That’s perfect
use case for service tracker. While GPIO will physicaly never get disconnected from raspberry
the connected device, i2c may go out at any time. Tricky part is how to detect when device
goes offline. This can’t be done in general way and I think it needs to be linked with device
interactions (tracking link status and when it hangs) or system events, but this brings us
back to Kura and native libraries.

Cheers,
Lukasz
--
Apache Karaf Committer & PMC
Twitter: @ldywicki

> Wiadomość napisana przez Brad Red Hat <bradjohn@redhat.com> w dniu 4 sty 2017,
o godz. 22:56:

> I'm still doing a bit of head scratching to figure out where I and OSGi libraries fit
in the Kura scheme.  Part of the problem is code samples may not be the best indicator of
intended use but they are what's out there. Here's an example which doesn't fit how I think
about OSGi services. If I switch the board I'm deploy to then my code is broken. If these
were injected as services instead, then this device driver level bundle would be unaware of
the change.  Configuring it at the board bundle level also means that all configuration for
pins, numbers and modes is in a single place.

> Well, I guess I've gone off the beaten path here and shouldn't be posting any of this
to the Karaf forum as it is a tangential concern here. More to the point here is getting a
Karaf deployment mechanism in place.

> public void activate(ComponentContext componentContext) {
> 	logger.info("Bundle {} is starting...", APP_ID); //A factory call
> across class loaders. Even if this is changed to inject GpioController it doesn't quite
work.
> 	GpioController gpioController = GpioFactory.getInstance(); //Pins and
> board devices should be configured and exported as named services at the board level
not in the application bundle.
> 	GpioPinDigitalMultipurpose motionSensor =
> gpioController.provisionDigitalMultipurposePin(RaspiPin.GPIO_01, PinMode.DIGITAL_INPUT);
//Ditto
> 	GpioPinDigitalMultipurpose motionStatusLed =
> gpioController.provisionDigitalMultipurposePin(RaspiPin.GPIO_05,
> PinMode.DIGITAL_OUTPUT);

> }

(as a platform) point of view. But this all comes from past of project which was launched
with Tycho and PDE since early days. There are multiple entities involved in project and it
is not an easy task to redefine how things should be built.

> Initial apis of OH were quite simple and didn’t require anything strictly related to
physical thing. Starting form OH2 and extraction of Eclipse SmartHome there is a seperation
of concerns. OH2 bindings define Bridge and Things connected over it and may have Channels
associated with every of these. At this stage it is lowest common denominator. There is no
higher level APIs for representing pumps, boilers or sensors or alarms but from other hand
OH is not a SCADA platform. Maybe at some point there will be further generalization of code
which will allow bindings to gain some benefits? Many of bindings is pure software integration
with vendor bridges having very little or no hardware involved at all which makes it easier
to develop.

> I haven’t played with Kura so far because I didn’t need such low level library, but
even if I would need something such that I would rather go for dedicated library handling
specific use case instead of Kura which brings too much.