karaf-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Baptiste Onofré ...@nanthrax.net>
Subject Re: transitive dependencies of feature descriptors
Date Fri, 05 Aug 2016 12:58:03 GMT
OK I understand better now. What about changing the scope of the bundle dependency ?

Regards
JB

On Fri, Aug 05, 2016 at 2:34 PM, Benson Margulies < benson@basistech.com [benson@basistech.com]

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 8:32 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré < jb@nanthrax.net [jb@nanthrax.net]
> wrote:
You mean that you use the karaf-maven-plugin to generate the features.xml ?

JB,
Yes, I always use the plugin. Regards, benson

Regards
JB

JB,

The jar files incorporated in the uber jar show up in the dependency
graph and thus reappear in as 'wrap:' bundles in features.

If project X declares a dependency on feature F, then the dependencies
of feature F are considered as bundles in project X's feature, because
they are part of project X's overall dependency graph. the
karaf-maven-plugin does not filter them out, even though F is accounted
for as an aggregated feature.

Regards,
benson

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 8:09 AM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré < jb@nanthrax.net [jb@nanthrax.net]
<mailto: jb@nanthrax.net [jb@nanthrax.net] >> wrote:

Hi Benson,

honestly, I don't understand your point ;)

You have an "uber" bundle containing packages, and this bundle is in
a feature.

This feature can be used as an inner feature.

So what's the point ?

Regards
JB

Folks, I wonder if someone else has found a way out of this.

Consider a project that builds an OSGi bundle by aggregating some
non-OSGi jar Maven dependencies. Those dependencies are in the
dependency tree of the resulting bundle.

Now, consider what happens if you generate a feature to contain that
bundle. You can carefully exclude artifactIds to ensure that these
embedded jars do not show up in the feature.xml as 'wrap' bundles.

However, there are still in the dependency graph of the feature
itself.

So, when you write a dependency _on the feature_ to incorporate that
feature in a larger system, now the non-OSGi bundles are back in the
picture. You then have to write Maven <exclusions> for them all
over again.

If I wrote a patch to the karaf-maven-plugin to exclude non-feature
dependencies of features, would some committer commit it?

--
Jean-Baptiste Onofré
jbonofre@apache.org [jbonofre@apache.org] <mailto: jbonofre@apache.org [jbonofre@apache.org]

http://blog.nanthrax.net [http://blog.nanthrax.net]