karaf-user mailing list archives

From Maciek Próchniak <...@touk.pl>
Subject karaf/profile related talk&samples
Date Tue, 10 May 2016 12:24:40 GMT
Hi,

last week I gave a talk at VoxxedDays Istanbul "Microservices,
'Enterprise' and Conway's law".
As you can imagine, the title is just a disguise to be able to talk a
bit about karaf&osgi ;)
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1E5qJbe36_-4odK-MwaguihbUuBrserZ3DM8IxjTHqok/edit#slide=id.g993e76dc3_0_30

- here are the slides,
and here: https://github.com/mproch/profiles-demo is the code. It's
mostly similar to what Christian is showing in his great tutorials,
but with more focus on profile repository.

Actually we plan to use profiles in following way (currently we're still
stuck with RH Fabric8 1.x...):
- our system is quite complex integration platform, evolved after many
years of development on SMX3
- we want to keep profiles repository on our clients gitlab
- vendors implement services (=bundles) and deploy them to Nexus
installed at clients location
- profiles define configuration but also how to assemble whole Karaf
containers
(https://github.com/mproch/profiles-demo/tree/master/registry/src/main/profiles/assembly)
- when deployment time comes client/jenkins build appropriate Karaf
image (via static profiles), tag appropriate commit in profile gitlab
repository and deploys it
- for us, the big benefit is that the client can decide how many servers
he wants, how to configure them and where to deploy services (there are
a few vendors building services), as it is separated from actual bundles
Currently we do mostly the same with RH Fabric8, but it's based on karaf
2.x and on complex hotdeployment mechanisms which are v. fragile and
error prone.

Just wanted to share it as I find that there's not much
documentation/examples of profiles, except those in Karaf codebase,
while we think it's really nice&powerful feature.

thanks,
maciek