karaf-user mailing list archives

From kotoole <kevin.j.oto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Distribution upgrade procedure
Date Mon, 04 Jan 2016 20:22:52 GMT
Daniel McGreal wrote
> Hi Karaf users!
> I wonder what strategies people are using to upgrade their Karaf
> distributions? It seems non-trivial, as I find myself having to
> reinstitute all my etc configuration changes almost line by line so that
> feature version, etc upgrades are also added to the distribution.
> Best, Dan.

I keep have a separate "user" path for our custom CFG and KAR files.

For example, as part of our distribution, I include a
org.apache.felix.fileinstall-userdeploy.cfg file to monitor a separate
directory that only includes deploys outside of the Karaf distribution
itself.

For changes made to other files, take for example
org.apache.karaf.command.acl.camel.cfg, I keep a custom copy of it in
src\main\resources\etc (as well as filtered resources) so it replaces what
the default distribution would include. This works fine although if there
are changes to these files between releases, it can be challenging to
recognize.

I also set "karaf.clean.cache = true" in system.properties to ensure all
proper versions and features are installed at startup. This may be a little
burdensome to others, but it works for us.

There's a little more sophistication to it than just this with the actual
deployment of the distribution, but that is the basics of it.