karaf-user mailing list archives

From Scott Lewis <sle...@composent.com>
Subject Re: Cellar and remote services
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2014 16:40:45 GMT
Hi Frederic,

On 3/13/2014 5:12 AM, Frédéric POULET wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm testing cellar and I'm asking  myself thefollowing question : Is
> it possibleto access a remote service without use blueprint ?

The general/spec answer to this is 'yes'...following just the OSGi
Remote Services specification (no particular impl) it should be/is
possible to access a remote services without using blueprint.   In the
same way that any OSGi service can be accessed in multiple ways (via
blueprint, ServiceTracker, declarative services, via
BundleContext/ServiceReference as per your code), according to the RS
specification (chapter 100) a remote service (once discovered and
imported) can similarly be accessed and used.

Now...of course there are different impls of the RS specification, and I
can't speak for them all (i.e. whether they require use of blueprint).
Actually, I can only speak for one [1].   But in that one we test
many/multiple ways of accessing a remote service (on the consumer) to
verify spec compliance.

Scott

[1] http://www.eclipse.org/ecf