Hi,

I fully agree John here.
The feature descriptor just points to maven coordinates. Therefore I think we are license safe.

Regards, achim

sent from mobile device

Am 10.01.2014 01:30 schrieb "John D. Ament" <john.d.ament@gmail.com>:
Right, but is there an actual dependency on something LGPL/GPL here?
The file in question is an instruction to a karaf instance on how to
install something (e.g. hibernate).  Hibernate isn't actually
distributed, simply commands that tell the instance where to get
hibernate.

On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 6:41 PM, Johan Edstrom <seijoed@gmail.com> wrote:
> It applies to anything licensed under ASF Licenses.
> Hibernate is probably a good example, the Apache Camel Hibernate components
> are housed outside ASF, in a 3rd party repo.
> Since that component is compiled against GPL code it isn't ASF compatible
> anymore.
>

> On Jan 9, 2014, at 4:14 PM, John D. Ament <john.d.ament@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Well, since there is no compile time dependency on hibernate, is there
>> actually a licensing issue?
>> The binary is referenced, but not compiled against in Apache code.
>>
>> On Thu, Jan 9, 2014 at 5:35 PM, Krzysztof Sobkowiak
>> <krzys.sobkowiak@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I have some licensing questions.
>>>
>>> I have found following page http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html which
>>> defines 3 categories of third party licenses. According to this page LGPL
>>> v2.1 is category X, but further remark says, the LGPL-v2.1-licensed work can
>>> be listed as system requirements but can not be included  by Apache
>>> products. I'm not good in licensing but I try to understand it.  Is the
>>> category of LGPL really B  (and the page should be corrected) or is the LGP
>>> category X.  In the second case, can we still list Hibernate in Karaf
>>> features (e.g. using the remark about listing of system requirements)?
>>>
>>> Assume following use cases of third-party work usage:
>>> 1. reference 3rd-party library as (maven) dependency and use the classes in
>>> ASF code
>>> 2. reference 3rd-party library as (maven) dependency and use the classes
>>> only in ASF configuration files (e.g. blueprint.xml)
>>> 3. include/copy some unmodified 3rd-party code (e.g. some classes) in ASF
>>> project
>>> 4. include/copy some 3rd-party code (e.g. some classes) in ASF project and
>>> modify it
>>> 5. list some 3rd-party libraries in Karaf features, but not include them as
>>> binaries in one of the Karaf distributions
>>> 6. list some 3rd-party libraries in Karaf features, and  include them as
>>> binaries in one of the Karaf distributions in system repository
>>>
>>> Could anybody please answer which of above points are allowed for following
>>> 3rd-party works
>>> a. category A as the whole category - I assume, all above use cases are
>>> allowed in this category, is it ok?
>>> b. category B as the whole category
>>> c. category X as the whole category
>>> d. LGPL