karaf-user mailing list archives

From Krzysztof Sobkowiak <krzys.sobkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Third-Party Licensing Policy
Date Fri, 10 Jan 2014 06:36:32 GMT
Hi

Thanks for answers. I need still some clarifications. I'll use some samples

> Hi
>
> It's a difference between inclusion, usage, and reference.
>
> For instance, GPL license is a intrusive license. It means that any
> software that use a code under GPL has to be itself under the GPL
> license. That's why you can't use GPL in a Apache project. It's the
> case for usage, inclusion or reference.
> LGPL is a bit permissive in the cave of reference. LGPL is a Category
> X for inclusion and usage. It means that it's not possible to use LGPL
> if the project embeds some jar under LGPL, or ship some code (like
> copy/paste) under LGPL. However, if you just reference the project
> without embedding it, and it's an user action to actually download and
> add the LGPL jar, it's fine.
I don't know if I have understood it correctly. I can reference
Hibernate libraries in Karaf feature (e.g. because it is referenced by
other library which is also included in Karaf feature ans uses the code
from Hibernate or because we need Hibernate as JPA provider) . But I can
not implement any sample with Karaf which shows, how to use Spring with
plain Hibernate, because the Hibernate  code (e.g. SessionFactory) would
be referenced in this code. But I can implement such a sample outside
Karaf (probably under another license, which? LGPL?) and eventually
reference the sample somewhere in the Karaf feature like the Hibernate
libraries?

> Regarding your question:
> 1/ category A
> 2/ category A
> 3/ category A and B
> 4/ category A and B (and we have to "publish" the changes)

Does it mean I can copy some code (e.g. classes) from category B library
into Apache licensed project, eventually change the code, and and ship
it as part of this project (usage 3 and 4) but I can not reference the
category B libraries as maven dependencies and use the classes from the
dependencies in Apache licensed project (usage 1 and 2)?

I use an example again  - AspectJ is licensed under EPL 1.0 license.
Assume I'd like to implement a WeavingHook using the AspectJ classes
(reference AspectJ as maven dependency and use the classes in my code).
Does it mean, my code can not be included in Apache licensed project,
but I can implement the hook in a project under other license and
eventually reference it in Karaf feature?

Best regards
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak