karaf-user mailing list archives

From Krzysztof Sobkowiak <krzys.sobkow...@gmail.com>
Subject Third-Party Licensing Policy (was: karaf 3.0 : hibernate 4 feature)
Date Thu, 09 Jan 2014 22:35:13 GMT
Hi

I have some licensing questions.

I have found following page http://www.apache.org/legal/3party.html
which defines 3 categories of third party licenses. According to this
page LGPL v2.1 is category X, but further remark says, the
LGPL-v2.1-licensed work can be listed as system requirements but can not
be included  by Apache products. I'm not good in licensing but I try to
understand it.  Is the category of LGPL really B (and the page should be
corrected) or is the LGP category X.  In the second case, can we still
list Hibernate in Karaf features (e.g. using the remark about listing of
system requirements)?

Assume following use cases of third-party work usage:
1. reference 3rd-party library as (maven) dependency and use the classes
in ASF code
2. reference 3rd-party library as (maven) dependency and use the classes
only in ASF configuration files (e.g. blueprint.xml)
3. include/copy some unmodified 3rd-party code (e.g. some classes) in
ASF project
4. include/copy some 3rd-party code (e.g. some classes) in ASF project
and modify it
5. list some 3rd-party libraries in Karaf features, but not include them
as binaries in one of the Karaf distributions
6. list some 3rd-party libraries in Karaf features, and  include them as
binaries in one of the Karaf distributions in system repository

Could anybody please answer which of above points are allowed for
following 3rd-party works
a. category A as the whole category - I assume, all above use cases are
allowed in this category, is it ok?
b. category B as the whole category
c. category X as the whole category
d. LGPL
e. GPL
f. EPL

I have chosen Karaf as sample ASF project, but it could be any other ASF
project, e.g. ServiceMix or Aries

Do the rules from the page mentioned above apply only for ASF projects
or for any project licensed under Apache License?

Best regards
Krzysztof

--
Krzysztof Sobkowiak