karaf-user mailing list archives

From Marcos Mendez <mar...@jitisoft.com>
Subject Re: question about dependent features
Date Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:18:11 GMT
So I've removed the fragment host refresh. Fragments find their hosts properly now. Maybe we
didn't have obr in the original features. So basically the feature will install a dependent
feature if it is not installed. During uninstall, dependent features will be left alone. Is
my understanding correct?

On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Marcos Mendez wrote:

> Yes we're using OBR.
>
> We have a lot of dependent features, that build on more features.
>
> <feature name="A" version="1.0">
> 	<feature>foo</feature>
> 	<bundle fragment A>
> 	<bundle existing fragment host  in feature foo/> <!-- haven't figured out how
to refresh an existing bundle in karaf without doing this. not sure if this causes problems
during install/uninstall -->
> </feature>
> <feature name="B" version="1.0">
> 	<feature>foo</feature>
> 	<bundle fragment B>
> 	<bundle existing fragment host  in feature foo/> <!-- haven't figured out how
to refresh an existing bundle in karaf without doing this. not sure if this causes problems
during install/uninstall -->
> </feature>
> <feature name"C" version="1.0">
> 	<feature>A</feature>
> 	<feature>B</feature>
> 	<bundle>C</bundle>
> </feature>
>
> We use features:install/uninstall for everything. So we may install feature A the first
time, then install feature B, then uninstall feature A. B should still work with no problems.
We have around 5 feature repos as well. So feature C could be in a different repo from A and
B.

> On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:49 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>
>> Do you use OBR resolver ?
>> Could you explain what you do exactly ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Regards
>> JB
>>
>> On 08/14/2013 11:40 PM, Marcos Mendez wrote:
>>> We're always using features:install/uninstall. I've looked at that documentation,
but it really doesn't go deep into the implementation details. Just mentions that there are
dependent features.

>>> If these commands don't have a ref count... I don't know what we're going to
do.

>>> We have a lot of features, a lot of common dependent features.

dependencies then. I'm seeing some strange behavior - things being restarted.

logic, rather than just looking at the feature deployer code? Perhaps some log setting to
see what the deployer is doing?