karaf-user mailing list archives

From Marcos Mendez <mar...@jitisoft.com>
Subject Re: question about dependent features
Date Wed, 14 Aug 2013 21:56:22 GMT
Yes we're using OBR.

We have a lot of dependent features, that build on more features.

<feature name="A" version="1.0">
	<feature>foo</feature>
	<bundle fragment A>
	<bundle existing fragment host  in feature foo/> <!-- haven't figured out how to
refresh an existing bundle in karaf without doing this. not sure if this causes problems during
install/uninstall -->
</feature>
<feature name="B" version="1.0">
	<feature>foo</feature>
	<bundle fragment B>
	<bundle existing fragment host  in feature foo/> <!-- haven't figured out how to
refresh an existing bundle in karaf without doing this. not sure if this causes problems during
install/uninstall -->
</feature>
<feature name"C" version="1.0">
	<feature>A</feature>
	<feature>B</feature>
	<bundle>C</bundle>
</feature>

We use features:install/uninstall for everything. So we may install feature A the first time,
then install feature B, then uninstall feature A. B should still work with no problems. We
have around 5 feature repos as well. So feature C could be in a different repo from A and
B.

On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:49 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:

> Do you use OBR resolver ?
> Could you explain what you do exactly ?
>
> Thanks,
> Regards
> JB
>
> On 08/14/2013 11:40 PM, Marcos Mendez wrote:
>> We're always using features:install/uninstall. I've looked at that documentation,
but it really doesn't go deep into the implementation details. Just mentions that there are
dependent features.

>> If these commands don't have a ref count... I don't know what we're going to do.
>>
>> We have a lot of features, a lot of common dependent features.
>>
>> On Aug 14, 2013, at 5:32 PM, Jean-Baptiste Onofré wrote:
>>
>>> Do you use features:install of the features deployer ?
>>>
>>> features:uninstall doesn't keep a ref count.
>>>
>>> You can take a look in the "Provisioning" chapter of the documentation:
>>>
>>> http://karaf.apache.org/manual/latest-2.3.x/users-guide/provisioning.html
>>>
>>> Let me know if I can help you about that.
>>>
>>> Regards
>>> JB

then. I'm seeing some strange behavior - things being restarted.

rather than just looking at the feature deployer code? Perhaps some log setting to see what
the deployer is doing?