karaf-user mailing list archives

From Andreas Pieber <anpie...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: same feature name exists in multi feature repo url
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2012 04:52:53 GMT
Sounds reasonable. Can you please file a feature request at our jira
that we don't forget about it?

Kind regards,
Andreas

On Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 3:30 AM, XiLai Dai <xldai@talend.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> Maybe make improvement to features:install command, let it support features repo name,
e.g.
>     >features:install features_a/myfeature/1.0
>
> Thanks.
> Xilai

on it (for example, it could change between versions of Karaf). If you want to make sure a
certain feature is loaded and no other, you have to distinguish it (by name or version) from
every other. Perhaps you might try using your FQDN or the like as a prefix.

> ---
> A. Soroka
> Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
> the University of Virginia Library
>
> On Oct 23, 2012, at 11:03 PM, XiLai Dai wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> My question is not about the version of feature, there is only one feature of version
1.0 (name='myfeature' version='1.0') defined in both two different features xml which I provided
in the mail.

>> My question is: if a feature (same name and same version) exists in multi features
repo xml, and all these features urls have been installed into karaf (using features:addurl),
then, when I run:
>>> features:install myfeature/1.0
>> Which one will be installed? The one from features_a xml? or the one from features_b
xml?

>> From the result of my test, no matter the order of features:addurl commands executed,
the last one from the features:listurl will be installed into karaf.  Is it right? How to
allow user to select his preferred myfeatu.re/1.0 to install?

>> Thanks.
>> Xilai

attribute in feature XML _defines_ the version of the feature that the XML describes. The
version of the feature that you offer when installing via Maven protocol (say, via command-line
features:install) is what Karaf _searches_ for in available repositories, with ordering behavior
undefined (howsoever the feature-version in Maven was defined). If you don't give a version
in your install operation, it'll search for the latest non-snapshot in available repositories,
with ordering behavior undefined. And just to be complete, if you use a feature version in
a feature declared as a _dependency_ in feature XML, it has the second meaning.

>> Is that right? Two different meanings, the first of which (defining the feature version)
_only_ applies to the attribute in XML?

>> ---
>> A. Soroka
>> Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
>> the University of Virginia Library
>>
>> On Oct 23, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>>
>>> Well, since you're using the mvn (maven) Protokoll this need to be installed
at least in your lokal maven repository. The version of the features you've defined in the
xml is of NO relevance here. Only the version you've given it in your maven repo is relevant.
For starting using the file: protocol, directly pointing to your features in your file system
might be the easier option. You can still switch to mvn there once you get familiar with the
concepts.

>>> Kind regards, Andreas
>>>
>>> On Oct 23, 2012 5:36 AM, "XiLai Dai" <xldai@talend.com> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>

>>> One feature xml named feature-a-1.0
>>>

>>> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
>>>
>>> <features name="feature_a" xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.0.0">
>>>

>>>  <feature name='myfeature' version='1.0'>
>>>
>>>    <bundle>mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jdom/1.1_4</bundle>
>>>
>>>  </feature>
>>>

>>> </features>
>>>

>>> The other feature xml named feature-b-1.0
>>>

>>> <features name="feature_b" xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.0.0">
>>>

>>>  <feature name='myfeature' version='1.0'>
>>>
>>>     <bundle>mvn:commons-dbcp/commons-dbcp/1.4</bundle>
>>>
>>>  </feature>
>>>

>>> </features>
>>>

>>> Both of them have a feature named "myfeature"/"1.0". then add feature url to
karaf:

>>> karaf@root>features:addurl mvn:org.test/features_a/1.0/xml
>>>
>>> karaf@root>features:addurl mvn:org.test/features_b/1.0/xml
>>>

>>> then install myfeature:  karaf@root>features:install myfeature
>>>

>>> which is the expected search order for myfeature?  I did some test but sometimes
myfeature which from the first features xml installed, sometimes from the second features.