karaf-user mailing list archives

From "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <aj...@virginia.edu>
Subject Re: same feature name exists in multi feature repo url
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:06:18 GMT
I'd be honored. {grin}

---
A. Soroka
Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
the University of Virginia Library

On Oct 23, 2012, at 10:04 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:

> Yep. Exactly to the point! Would you mind if I include your summary into the user manual?
:-)

> Kind regards, Andreas
>
> On Oct 23, 2012 4:02 PM, "ajs6f@virginia.edu" <ajs6f@virginia.edu> wrote:
> To be clear, if I understand you correctly, you're pointing out that the version attribute
in feature XML _defines_ the version of the feature that the XML describes. The version of
the feature that you offer when installing via Maven protocol (say, via command-line features:install)
is what Karaf _searches_ for in available repositories, with ordering behavior undefined (howsoever
the feature-version in Maven was defined). If you don't give a version in your install operation,
it'll search for the latest non-snapshot in available repositories, with ordering behavior
undefined. And just to be complete, if you use a feature version in a feature declared as
a _dependency_ in feature XML, it has the second meaning.

> Is that right? Two different meanings, the first of which (defining the feature version)
_only_ applies to the attribute in XML?

> ---
> A. Soroka
> Software & Systems Engineering :: Online Library Environment
> the University of Virginia Library
>
> On Oct 23, 2012, at 9:50 AM, Andreas Pieber wrote:
>
> > Well, since you're using the mvn (maven) Protokoll this need to be installed at
least in your lokal maven repository. The version of the features you've defined in the xml
is of NO relevance here. Only the version you've given it in your maven repo is relevant.
For starting using the file: protocol, directly pointing to your features in your file system
might be the easier option. You can still switch to mvn there once you get familiar with the
concepts.

> > Kind regards, Andreas
> >
> > On Oct 23, 2012 5:36 AM, "XiLai Dai" <xldai@talend.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >

> > One feature xml named feature-a-1.0
> >

> > <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> >
> > <features name="feature_a" xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.0.0">
> >

> >   <feature name='myfeature' version='1.0'>
> >
> >     <bundle>mvn:org.apache.servicemix.bundles/org.apache.servicemix.bundles.jdom/1.1_4</bundle>
> >
> >   </feature>
> >

> > </features>
> >

> > The other feature xml named feature-b-1.0
> >

> > <features name="feature_b" xmlns="http://karaf.apache.org/xmlns/features/v1.0.0">
> >

> >   <feature name='myfeature' version='1.0'>
> >
> >      <bundle>mvn:commons-dbcp/commons-dbcp/1.4</bundle>
> >
> >   </feature>
> >

> > </features>
> >

> > Both of them have a feature named “myfeature”/”1.0”. then add feature url
to karaf:

> > karaf@root>features:addurl mvn:org.test/features_a/1.0/xml
> >
> > karaf@root>features:addurl mvn:org.test/features_b/1.0/xml
> >

> > then install myfeature:  karaf@root>features:install myfeature
> >

> > which is the expected search order for myfeature?  I did some test but sometimes
myfeature which from the first features xml installed, sometimes from the second features.