karaf-user mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Best practise for deploying my app with Karaf
Date Tue, 23 Oct 2012 11:09:08 GMT
When you install a kar file it is added as an additional repository for
karaf and the features are started.
So there is not much difference between a kar file and a company maven
repo when looking at how the application starts up.

The only downside to a kar file is if you have several applications with
shared dependencies. As you typically pack all dependencies into the kar
file you would
have a lot of duplication. As long as you only deploy one application it
should be no issue.

A feature is the right way to define an application in karaf. It is not
only for karaf extensions.

If you have the option you should still consider to setup a maven
repository manager and deploy from there. I think it is a great way to
connect your development process which ends in the maven repo to the
deployment which starts there.

About having a second container where you do the upgrades and then
switch. I think this is exactly the way to go for mission critical
applications.

Christian