karaf-user mailing list archives

From Achim Nierbeck <bcanh...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Using Spring DM For New Software?
Date Thu, 28 Jul 2011 09:24:34 GMT
Hi Gareth,

again I'll just do a quick answer :-)

See inline below

regards, Achim

2011/7/28 Gareth <gareth.o.collins@gmail.com>:
> Hello,
>
> In a earlier question today I mentioned that when I tried to use Spring
> security in OSGi,
> I had to include all the Spring + spring security jars in my wab, which was
> not ideal.
>
> I found out what the problem was. I had to include Spring DM web to be able
> to remove the jars. The following was added to my web.xml:
>
>        <context-param>
>                <param-name>contextClass</param-name>
>                <param-value>
>
> org.springframework.osgi.web.context.support.OsgiBundleXmlWebApplicationContext
>                </param-value>
>        </context-param>

This is actually needed to run stuff in a Spring-DM environment
together with web,
also on Virgo I think.
In the Spring DM Server you even need to set a Spring-DM Server
specifik one, so yes you
are kind of tied to this then.

> Since this is new code, I was a little uncomfortable adding a dependency on
> something which was essentially "EOL" so I had a look to see if I could do
> the same with Blueprint (as we are already planning to use blueprint for
> other non-web bundles).

I wouldn't say that Spring-DM is EOL :-)
ask someone of springsource about that ;)

> Unfortunately the Spring DM web functionality doesn't appear to be covered
> in the Blueprint spec (and I don't see anything currently in Aries).

To my knowledge no it's not covered right now. I'd guess you could ask
the mailing-list or open an issue for that ;)

> So my question is - is there another method for including Spring in a wab?
> If not and I continue with Karaf, what is the recommended approach going
> forward? Continue using Spring DM web for the foreseeable future? Avoid
> creating dependencies on Spring DM web and include the Spring jars in every
> wab? Any other options in the pipeline (will Aries eventually have a similar
> feature, or would a replacement come as part of PAX Web?)?

Just a general suggestion.
You might think of doing the following:

Do a lightweight frontend using Spring-DM-Web and connecting to your
Services via Spring-DM
Publish your Services using Blueprint, this way your only dependency
would be the Frontend.
Later on you might do a redesign of your frontend, e.g. Wicket (using
Pax Wicket ;) )

Hope that helps :-)