karaf-user mailing list archives

From Glen Mazza <gma...@talend.com>
Subject Re: Application Developer Setup
Date Fri, 22 Jul 2011 17:02:18 GMT
For greater efficiency, you may wish to convert to features (predefined
groupings of bundles):
http://karaf.apache.org/manual/2.2.2/users-guide/provisioning.html so
you can install one feature at once instead of installing
bundle-by-bundle.  This will also speed up your redeployment process
because it's easy to quickly drop and reinstall/reactivate all bundles
making up a feature by using the up-and-down arrow keys (history keys)
within the Karaf console after Maven has finished installing the updated
bundles within your Maven repository.

Talend's open-source Integration Factory (providing a preconfigured wrap
of Camel & Karaf), in its examples download[1], maintains a separate
"features" project that holds the bundle information for each of the
examples--actually, same story with the examples in Talend Service
Factory (CXF) download.  This design allows you to keep all features
configuration in a single place instead of with each subproject.

Eclipse should ideally just be for coding, as for not waiting for "the
full Maven build", I would look into modularizing your work so that a
Maven build of whatever subsystem you're working on won't take that much
time.

HTH,
Glen

[1] http://www.talend.com/download.php#IF (User Documentation and