karaf-user mailing list archives

From mikevan <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Feature Dependencies load order
Date Wed, 20 Jul 2011 20:49:46 GMT
David/Simplemind,

I just confirmed that wrap: does mark all imports as resolution:=optional.

It should be noted that for this reason "wrap:" shouldn't be the solution
for a "live" system.  Instead, use it to identify all of the .jar files your
system needs, and then prior to going live, "wrap" all of the non-osgi .jar
files your application needs using BND.  Peter Kriens has a lot of good
information on his website about how to do this, and it also provides a lot
of general information about OSGi from a developer's perspective.
http://www.aqute.biz/Main/HomePage

Please let me know if this answers your questions.

David Jencks wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2011, at 10:02 AM, simplemind wrote:
>
>> I have discovered the problem.  Actually it is 2 issues, one is with
>> webconsole and the other is with wrap.  I am still not sure about
>> start-priority, but I think lower number means lower priority.
>
> The startlevel service starts at priority 1 (or 0, I'm not sure) and loads
> all the bundles at that level, starts them, increases the start level by
> one, and repeats until done.
>>
>> The problem with webconsole is that it times out.   If you click on load
>> feature that takes a while to load the webconsole request times out and
>> kills the feature load at whatever point it happens to be.  For instance,
>> in
>> karaf 2.2.2 on my machine I cannot even load the 'war' feature from the
>> webconsole because it just takes too long.
>>
>> The second issue is a really strange one with wrap.  Suppose bundle A
>> exports a package a.a.a.  And suppose B is a wrapped (legacy jar) bundle.
>> If I make a feature that has B before A and load the feature and look at
>> it shows a.a.a as an optional import in the manifest headers, plus a.a.a
>> was
>> not imported.  But if you load a feature that has A before B, then the
>> loaded B has a.a.a in the Imports.
>>
>> Easy enough to work around these, but they are both big "gochas" that had
>> me
>> confused in combination for a few wasted hours.  If anyone cares to
>> explain
>> how wrap is determining what are optional imports I would be interested.
>> Seems like a bug, because in my case a.a.a was being used and should have
>> been imported no matter the load order.  Also, why does wrapped bundle
>> link
>> optional imports if they happen to already be loaded into karaf when the
>> bundle is loaded?
>
> I think wrap marks all imports as optional.  This is sort of reasonable if
> you have no idea what the jar does and what actually is optional, but
> obviously ridiculous if you do know what the jar does.  So, its a good
> idea to actually look into the contents and figure out what is optional
> and what isn't.  You can then write a "bundleizing" maven project that
> repackages the jar as a bundle or (I think, I never tried it) provide a
> lot of info in the wrap url telling bnd what to do.
>
> Optional package imports work like this: if the optional package happens
> to be available when the bundle starts, it's wired in.  If it doesn't
> happen to be available, it is not wired in even if the package becomes
> available later, and if you want to get it wired in you have  to refresh
> the bundle with the optional import.  So you are observing the normal
> optional package import behavior.
>
> You can also use dynamic-import-package which will check for the package
> every time you try to use the wire, but this can have performance
> implications.
>
> hope this helps....
> [...]

-----
Mike Van