karaf-user mailing list archives

From mikevan <mvangeert...@comcast.net>
Subject Re: Using Log4j mail appender in Karaf with pax logging
Date Mon, 18 Jul 2011 23:31:20 GMT
Sam,

Depending on the level of Java you are using with Karaf (currently 1.5.x and
1.6.x are supported), you'd want to edit your jre.properties file under the
appropriate version that you're using, and add the following line between
javax.imageio.stream and javax.management (note the leading space):

 javax.mail, \

Once this is done, restart karaf, and the new package will be available
within Karaf. To verify this, run this command:

karaf@root>  exports | grep javax.mail

Please let me know if that helps.

Sam Hendley wrote:

> Is it possible to use the log4j email appenders in karaf?
>
> I have been googling for a few hours and I have seen a number of partial
> answers but nothing definative one way or the other.
>
> Here is my SMTP appender configuration in org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg
>
> log4j.appender.MAIL=org.apache.log4j.net.SMTPAppender
> log4j.appender.MAIL.BufferSize=10
> log4j.appender.MAIL.SMTPHost=xxxxx
> log4j.appender.MAIL.From=xxxxxx
> log4j.appender.MAIL.to=xxxxx
> log4j.appender.MAIL.Subject=Error Alert
> log4j.appender.MAIL.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
> log4j.appender.MAIL.layout.ConversionPattern=%d [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n
>
> and the exception I get:
>
> Jul 18, 2011 6:43:50 PM org.apache.karaf.main.SimpleFileLock lock
> INFO: locking
> 18 Jul 2011 18:43:50,484 ERROR [CM Configuration Updater (ManagedService
> Update: pid=org.ops4j.pax.logging)] org.apache.felix.configadmin (?:   ?)
> [org.osgi.service.log.LogService, org.knopflerfish.service.log.LogService,
> org.ops4j.pax.logging.PaxLoggingService,
> org.osgi.service.cm.ManagedService,
> id=8, bundle=4]: Unexpected problem updating Configuration
> PID=org.ops4j.pax.logging, factoryPID=null,
> bundleLocation=mvn:org.ops4j.pax.logging/pax-logging-service/1.6.3-LOCATION
> java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: javax/mail/MessagingException
> at org.apache.log4j.helpers.Loader.loadClass(Loader.java:198)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByClassName(OptionConverter.java:326)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.helpers.OptionConverter.instantiateByKey(OptionConverter.java:123)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.PaxLoggingConfigurator.parseAppender(PaxLoggingConfigurator.java:81)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:735)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory(PropertyConfigurator.java:615)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure(PropertyConfigurator.java:502)
> at
> org.apache.log4j.PaxLoggingConfigurator.doConfigure(PaxLoggingConfigurator.java:57)
> at
> org.ops4j.pax.logging.service.internal.PaxLoggingServiceImpl.updated(PaxLoggingServiceImpl.java:187)
> at
> org.ops4j.pax.logging.service.internal.PaxLoggingServiceImpl$1ManagedPaxLoggingService.updated(PaxLoggingServiceImpl.java:321)
> at
> org.apache.felix.cm.impl.ConfigurationManager$ManagedServiceUpdate.run(ConfigurationManager.java:1160)
> at org.apache.felix.cm.impl.UpdateThread.run(UpdateThread.java:104)
> Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: javax.mail.MessagingException
> not found by org.ops4j.pax.logging.pax-logging-service [4]
> at
> [...]

-----
Mike Van