karaf-user mailing list archives

From Johan Edstrom <seij...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Aries and Karaf
Date Thu, 21 Apr 2011 15:30:54 GMT
No, not at all (Wrong direction)
The learning curve may be a tad steep for the first project, once you are over that hurdle
- you'll have gained a bunch of knowledge.

From the karaf side, you get a great runtime and nice management tools around the osgi container,

with the Aries projects you get things like JPA, TX, JNDI that conforms to how things work
in an osgi environment.

You can use hibernate as well, but having used both in anger :) I;d suggest using the aries
JPA, aries TX in combination
with OpenJPA. This also implies that you use aries blueprint, which will save you plenty headaches
as opposed to using spring-dm
in a complex environment.

A good start is looking at the itests bundles and setups in the aries code. I think there
also is a JPA blog sample that would
be a good reference.

On the karaf side I'd recommend reading up a bit around the features, learning that will make
things clearer I think.