karaf-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Michael Van Geertruy (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (KARAF-7) features/uninstall behaves different in version selection than features/install
Date Sun, 03 Jul 2011 15:01:22 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-7?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=13059208#comment-13059208
] 

Michael Van Geertruy commented on KARAF-7:
------------------------------------------

Just checked this ticket against the trunk.  When installing a feature that installs other
features, all looks good.  On uninstall, only the parent feature is uninstalled.  The dependant
features are not uninstalled.  I think this behaviour should be left as is because of the
following scenario:

1) A feature (foo) needs spring-dm 1.2.0 installed in order to work properly.  As such in
the feature description of foo, a reference is made to spring-dm.
2) Bar, another feature, also requires spring-dm. 
3) Bar is installed which installs the spring-dm bundle. 
4) Foo is installed which causes spring-dm to refresh. No surprises here.
5) Foo is uninstalled.  If this action causes Spring-dm to be uninstalled, then Bar will no
longer work.  Other than the shared dependancy on SpringDM, Bar and Foo have no other relationships.
 There is no business need for Bar to be uninstalled if Foo is uninstalled.

In fact, in a osgi bundle that uses springdm, all bundles would have a reference to the spring-dm
feature.  Uninstalling any of them would cause the extender to no longer exist and all wiring
would  be lost.  This would also be an issue for the bluepring extender bundle.

> features/uninstall behaves different in version selection than features/install
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: KARAF-7
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-7
>             Project: Karaf
>          Issue Type: Bug
>    Affects Versions: 2.1.3
>            Reporter: Guillaume Nodet
>
> When using "features/install xxx" without a version info, than it takes the latest available
version.
> When using "features/uninstall xxx" without a version info, than it complains if the
version isn't 0.0.0. 
> Lars Heinemann added a comment - 11/Feb/09 02:16 AM - edited
> Uninstalling a feature which contains other features which contain bundles will end up
in having the most top feature in state uninstalled but the sub-features and components are
no touched.
> For example:
> Feature MyFeature
>   | --- MySubFeature1
>   |         | --- Bundle A
>   |         | --- Bundle B
>   | --- MySubFeature2
>   |         | --- Bundle C
>   |         | --- Bundle D
> When uninstalling the feature "MyFeature" the result is this:
> [uninstalled]     MyFeature
> [ installed ]     MySubFeature1
> [ installed ]     MySubFeature2
> This is imho not the correct behaviour.
> [ Show » ]
> Lars Heinemann added a comment - 11/Feb/09 02:16 AM - edited Uninstalling a feature which
contains other features which contain bundles will end up in having the most top feature in
state uninstalled but the sub-features and components are no touched. For example:
> Feature MyFeature
>   | --- MySubFeature1
>   |         | --- Bundle A
>   |         | --- Bundle B
>   | --- MySubFeature2
>   |         | --- Bundle C
>   |         | --- Bundle D
> When uninstalling the feature "MyFeature" the result is this:
> [uninstalled]     MyFeature
> [ installed ]     MySubFeature1
> [ installed ]     MySubFeature2
> This is imho not the correct behaviour.
> [ Permlink | Edit | Delete | « Hide ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 09:26 AM
> The "features/uninstall xxx" should automatically select the version of the installed
features, else throw an error.
> [ Show » ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 09:26 AM The "features/uninstall xxx" should
automatically select the version of the installed features, else throw an error.
> [ Permlink | Edit | Delete | « Hide ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 10:59 AM
> For the uninstall stuff, I'm not sure. Currently we do not keep track of features installed
as dependencies. i guess we'd have to.
> If a feature is installed as a dependency, it should be removed if no longer used because
the feature having a dependency on it has been uninstalled.
> [ Show » ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 10:59 AM For the uninstall stuff, I'm not
sure. Currently we do not keep track of features installed as dependencies. i guess we'd have
to. If a feature is installed as a dependency, it should be removed if no longer used because
the feature having a dependency on it has been uninstalled.
> [ Permlink | Edit | Delete | « Hide ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 11:34 AM
> Raised a different issue for automaticaly selecting the right version when uninstalling.
> [ Show » ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 11:34 AM Raised a different issue for automaticaly
selecting the right version when uninstalling.
> [ Permlink | Delete | « Hide ]
> Chris Custine added a comment - 11/Feb/09 12:51 PM
> I noticed the same uninstall issue (not removing dependency features). It seems like
we will have to do a considerable amount of dependency tracking to get this to work properly
and there are some really difficult conflict resolution issues to consider. I think there
is definitely some room to improve the features functionality but I am thinking this should
probably be pushed to a later release.
> [ Show » ]
> Chris Custine added a comment - 11/Feb/09 12:51 PM I noticed the same uninstall issue
(not removing dependency features). It seems like we will have to do a considerable amount
of dependency tracking to get this to work properly and there are some really difficult conflict
resolution issues to consider. I think there is definitely some room to improve the features
functionality but I am thinking this should probably be pushed to a later release.
> [ Permlink | Edit | Delete | « Hide ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 02:13 PM
> Yeah, I fully agree. Let's move that one for 1.2.0 and get 1.1.0 out asap.
> [ Show » ]
> Guillaume Nodet added a comment - 11/Feb/09 02:13 PM Yeah, I fully agree. Let's move
that one for 1.2.0 and get 1.1.0 out asap.
> [ Permlink | Delete | « Hide ]
> Lars Heinemann added a comment - 11/Feb/09 09:29 PM
> moved to version 1.2.0

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

       

Mime
View raw message