karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Grzybek <gr.grzy...@gmail.com>
Subject Version alignment report for Karaf 4.2.3-SNAPSHOT - 1/2
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2019 12:28:11 GMT
Hello

For any custom Karaf distro we can enable generation of "consistency
report" - check sample here:
http://people.apache.org/~ggrzybek/bundle-report-full-karaf.xml (requires
browser that can do XSLT transformation using <?xml-stylesheet?>)

it can be configured using:

<plugin>
    <groupId>org.apache.karaf.tooling</groupId>
    <artifactId>karaf-maven-plugin</artifactId>
    <configuration>

<generateConsistencyReport>${project.build.directory}/assembly</generateConsistencyReport>

karaf-maven-plugin:assembly then generates:
 - bundle-report.xslt - stylesheet to transform XMLs
 - bundle-report-full.xml - full report, including blacklisted
repos/features/bundles
 - bundle-report.xml - a report without blacklisted items

The idea behind this report is to show _duplicates_ - bundles that appear
with the same groupId and artifactId (maven) but with different version.
The report also shows the features the bundles are declared in and feature
repositories the features come from.

Entire closure of bundles → features → repositories is taken into account.

It's most important when creating custom Karaf distribution - we can check
if some features declare conflicting bundles - we (usually) don't want to
have two versions of servlet-api JAR installed (though it's not a problem
with guava - it's even a must).

When a _duplicate_ is found or even duplicate repositories are referenced
(directly or transitively) usually there's a need to _blacklist_ something.

With https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5376 I've introduced a way
(documentation is still being written...) to blacklist
bundles/features/repositories or override bundles/features/repositories.

Blacklisting/overriding is done using etc/org.apache.karaf.features.xml
file. Short summary of the mechanism is here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/KARAF-5376?focusedCommentId=16431939&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-16431939

In next email, I'll show what should/could be aligned in master branch for
Karaf 4.2.3-SNAPSHOT.

regards
Grzegorz Grzybek