karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Christian Schneider <ch...@die-schneider.net>
Subject Re: Help to get out of pax-web from karaf distribution
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2018 11:21:31 GMT
I think this points to an interesting problem in current karaf.
Karaf comes with some feature repos installed and even with some features
installed.
This is very good for learning karaf but it is not good when you build and
maintain your application.

Things that we currently make hard to do:
- You have an application that is based on karaf features as well as other
features. It is quite hard to update your application to a new karaf as it
brings a lot of feature updates that you might not want.
- Switch some implementations. For Sai wanted to not install pax web. In my
recent case I wanted to update blueprint core.

I think many of these problems come from the way karaf features are offered:
- Many features are versioned together with karaf. So when you update karaf
you get new versions of the features / bundles even if you do not want them.
- Some karaf features combine too many unrelated things. E.g the enterprise
feature repo combines jpa, jms, peristence providers. Sometimes even
different versions of these.

I think we can fix a lot of this by moving as many features as possible to
the projects where the bundles come from. E.g Aries jpa already provides a
features. This allows to use any karaf version and install any jpa version
on it. Unfortunately this does not work in practice as the feature needs
transactions as well as blueprint that are part of karaf itself.

So I think we should move more features out of karaf and into the
individual projects.
Of course we must give these repos nice aliases so they are still easy to
install.

WDYT?

Christian

Christian Schneider