karaf-dev mailing list archives

From Guillaume Nodet <gno...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Docker feature in Karaf container
Date Fri, 19 Jan 2018 12:54:01 GMT

> > On Jan 19, 2018, at 4:00 AM, Guillaume Nodet <gnodet@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >  * investigate the use of JaxRS 2.0 api instead of the CXF dependency (to
> > be more flexible and also because it would create yet another circular
> > dependency)
>
> I’m not sure I get this…..   Even if you use the JAX-RS 2.0 API, you still
> need an implementation in order for the API’s to work.  I hope the chosen.
> Implementation would remain CXF.

1./ unless there's a compelling reason to tie the implementation to CXF,
I'd rather use the standard API instead
2./ this does create a circular dependency, as karaf will depend on CXF and
CXF on Karaf.  I know this is not a problem when releasing because we
always reference an older version of the other project, but still, if this
can be avoided I think it would be better
3./ i'd like CXF to be the default and i don't have any reason to switch to
a different provider, but that does not mean everyone should be forced to
use it, as they may have reasons to use a different provider (which could
also be a non technical reason)

I don't see any difference between choosing a jaxrs provider and choosing a
servlet provider or a transaction manager.  We do usually leave room for
choice, I'd like to keep it that way, if that's technically possible.

> Dan

> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Some days ago, we discussed about Decanter 2.0.0 and using "external"
> >> instances of used engines,  like Elasticsearch or Kibana.
> >>
> >> Basically, the main reason is that some engines are not easy to embed in
> >> Karaf. It's the case of Kibana as it uses node.js.
> >>
> >> However, one of the big advantage of embedded instance of Elasticsearch
> or
> >> Kibana is that it's very easy to install and use: it's just a
> >> feature:install command to perform.
> >>
> >> So, I would like to provide both advantages: easy to install and use
> with
> >> external instances ;)
> >>
> >> A first approach would be to create a "exec" bundle starting the
> instance.
> >> But we gonna face the "classic" issues depending of the environment.
> >>
> >> Maybe some of you remember the karaf-docker PoC I did month ago:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/jbonofre/karaf-docker
> >>
> >> This is a simple feature that allows you to manipulate docker images:
> >> bootstrapping, starting/running, ...
> >>
> >> I think it would help a lot in Decanter or Cellar: we can just provide
> >> Karaf Docker commands to bootstrap Elasticsearch, Kibana, OrientDB, ...
> >> As a best effort, we will try to provide embedded instance as possible,
> >> but it won't be the preferred approach.
> >>
> >> As karaf-docker is small project and just basically use docker, I think
> it
> >> doesn't require to be a Karaf subproject.
> >> As we have the karaf scheduler (using Quartz internally), I would like
> >> propose to add docker in Karaf container in a dedicated module.
> >>
> >> It means that users will be able to do feature:install docker to have
> the
> >> docker commands.
> >> I would like also to add a command and configuration to have "ready to
> go
> >> images". Something that will allow users to do:
> >>
> >> docker:run elasticsearch
> >>
> >> then, elasticsearch will use a ready to go dockerfile.
> >>
> >> It would be possible to do:
> >>
> >> docker:run mvn:org.apache.karaf.decanter.docker/elasticsearch/6.1.0/
> docker
> >>
> >> Where we can host ready to use "official" dockerfile.
> >>
> >> Thoughts ?
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> JB
> >> --