karaf-dev mailing list archives

From "steve.lombardi" <steve.lomba...@connexta.com>
Subject Work-around for Cellar not supporting blueprint managed-service factory replication
Date Tue, 11 Jul 2017 00:28:49 GMT
To the Karaf team:

1. We understand that managed-service factories *are not* recommended for
use by Jean
(http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Sharing-configuration-with-Cellar-td4037365.html).

2. That being said, we understand Cellar will replicate the configurations
but will not create the factory itself. We tried the reproduction steps
(http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Problem-with-Cellar-and-ManagedServiceFactories-td4037937.html)
and they *did not* work with Karaf 4.1.1 and Cellar 4.1.0 using default
property excludes (including factory.pid).

Do our blueprint bundles need to do something special? Do they need to
pre-create the factories in the container so Cellar config sync works
correctly? I don't think so; it won't work anyway.

Cellar does not call configurationAdmin.createFactoryConfiguration(), it
instead calls configurationAdmin.getConfiguration() with a PID that
represents a managed-service factory instance (e.g. factoryPID-UUID).

The end result is that the bean registered with blueprint is never
instantiated, even if other beans were instantiated belonging to that
factory. The steps cited here
(http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Problem-with-Cellar-and-ManagedServiceFactories-td4037937.html)
would never work with a blueprint bundle that uses
<cm:managed-service-factory> and <cm:managed-component>.

Do we need to provide our own implementation of ManagedServiceFactory
(https://osgi.org/javadoc/r4v42/org/osgi/service/cm/ManagedServiceFactory.html)
to offset how blueprint does it
(https://github.com/apache/aries/blob/trunk/blueprint/blueprint-cm/src/main/java/org/apache/aries/blueprint/compendium/cm/BaseManagedServiceFactory.java#L38)
if we want Cellar to work?